UMI Front Coilovers

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Considering UMI's front coilover setup inorder to avoid selecting the wrong front lowering springs. My current setup is on the bump stops, so I really have no front suspension. Don't really want to go with their lower arms just yet. Just the springs and Viking shocks for now. No race, just corner carving once in awhile. Anyone having problems using coilovers with stock lower arms? Everything is powdercoated so welding reiforcements isn't an option.

Thanks,
Steve

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I've heard that using coil overs on the stock lower control arms will crack the shock mounting area on the control arm. That part of the arm was not designed to support the weight of the front end. I wouldn't do it. Get aftermarket lower arms that are designed for the coil over setup. In the grand scheme of it, it'll be money well spent, and the peace of mind that the arms won't crack when you're carving that corner will be worth it, too.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Yeah, I've read something to that affect on here a time or two. Just wondering if that issue has actually happened to any members. Arms aren't in the cards for awhile I guess. All vendors say it's viable, short of coming down hard and all out racing with the stock arms.

Thanks

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
nillabu said:
Considering UMI's front coilover setup inorder to avoid selecting the wrong front lowering springs. My current setup is on the bump stops, so I really have no front suspension. Don't really want to go with their lower arms just yet. Just the springs and Viking shocks for now. No race, just corner carving once in awhile. Anyone having problems using coilovers with stock lower arms? Everything is powdercoated so welding reiforcements isn't an option.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve.

Thanks for considering UMI!

I think you can safely use a Viking 450lb spring and shock on your factory lower arms. The key is that they're in good condition. General driving and an occasional corner carving session shouldn't hurt anything on a solid, non-rusted lower arm.

If you think about the failure mode (if there was one, standard disclaimer applies) it would just land on the bump stops anyway. Not saying that's completely safe but just that I'd use them no problem.

Let me know if you need anything.

thanks

ramey

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Ramey, my arms were very solid before they were blasted and coated. Considering a possible "failure" you're right, I'm at the bump stops now :roll: In my case, it's more for the right stance than full performance. I'd definitely do the arms eventually. Thanks...will order as soon as I warn the boss.

Steve

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I'm not disputing Ramey, but I've seen WAY too many A-arm & shock mount failures when coil overs were used on stock chassis shock mounts...

Tommy

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks Tommy,

Looked at it again today...yeah there isn't much there....I'll probably wait till I can afford the package. Thought I'd ask just to see if, and how much, evidence was out there. If snow removal (hate to be thinking about that already) is good this winter :-& maybe the rears also next spring. Need a rear bar also, but that will also mean new rear lowers as my DA Spohns weren't made with bar mountings ](*,)

Steve

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Of course we prefer to sell our lowers to complete the package. :D

The reality, at least for us, is that we know of zero failures in the last five years with hybrid coils and stock arms. Believe you me, if it happened we'd hear about it.

On the other hand, the world is dangerous enough so I respect all opinions on the subject.

We're happy to help whenever you need us.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
nillabu said:
Thanks Tommy,

Looked at it again today...yeah there isn't much there....I'll probably wait till I can afford the package. Thought I'd ask just to see if, and how much, evidence was out there. If snow removal (hate to be thinking about that already) is good this winter :-& maybe the rears also next spring. Need a rear bar also, but that will also mean new rear lowers as my DA Spohns weren't made with bar mountings ](*,)

Steve

I just saw your mention about sway bar mounting. We have a nice axle mount ready to roll. Pro-Tour style.

These work great...

Last edited by a moderator:

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Ramey, thanks!! Have read all kinds of positives about these. I like em!!!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts