Baseline Suspensions Pro Launch Gold - 12Bolt into G-Body

MetricBoo

Daily Driver
Sep 13, 2012
In 2004 my dad and I installed a 12 bolt from a 1970 Chevelle into my 1978 Malibu. My dad came up with some single adjustable uppers he made by using the back half of the stock uppers and using a piece of threaded rod from a U-bolt from a semi truck and a machined sleeve for the rubber bushing to fit into. It worked well and didn't bind, and I was able to adjust pinion angle. It was annoying having to un-bolt it from the diff to be able to adjust it but it worked. I also ran stock lowers that were boxed, poly bushings everywhere, stock sway bar bolted to the lower arms and air bags. This all added up to a 1.5 60foot with a best ET of 10.30@133mph with my 383 solid roller motor with a 275shot. But I always had traction problems and the car was inconsistent.

Fast forward to 2013, I was looking to get something better and more stout that could handle more power, and had trouble finding a more race type control arm. There are some other 12 bolt swap upper arms out there, but they are limited to just having the ability to adjust the pinion angle. I came across Kevin Slaby and his company Baseline Suspensions, I had heard his name mentioned on many message boards with a lot of positive comments and proven track results. I contacted him and he told me about a new kit he was coming out with that would work perfect for my application and give me some additional adjustability.

I received the parts and was immediately impressed with the quality and fit and finish of everything. High quality materials and components, good install instructions, and very good fitment of the parts into my car. He also provided excellent tech support, and was always more than happy to answer my questions quickly and with a precise and though out answer.

The following are some pictures of the install and the finished installation.

Couple of things to note about the kit, installation and my car:
-You will need to get spherical housing bushings in order to use this kit (I got TRZ bushings)
-I added adjustable spring perches from TRZ to be able to change the ride height of my car
-In order to get the correct Instant Center and Anti Squat % the lower control arms need to be parallel to the ground or very close.

I have yet to get the car to the track to test this kit, but I will follow up this thread with testing results from the track.
If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to ask or contact Kevin ( Baseline Suspensions

Last edited by a moderator:

78boo0

Frequent Racer
Feb 13, 2007
HAZEL PARK, mi
www.niacandles.com
Re: Baseline Suspensions Pro Launch Gold - 12Bolt into G-Bod

well heres my baseline that i got a few years back for my 12 bolt
Picture063.jpg

Picture065.jpg

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia

Question.

You said you want the lower control arms as close to parallel to the ground as possible, and I understand that. But in your pictures I noticed you have adjustable mounting points for the UPPER control arms. What benefit does that have?
thanks

MetricBoo

Daily Driver
Sep 13, 2012

The adjustable uppers allows you to adjust the Instant Center location, and Anti-Squat Value.
For a 12 bolt application to get a desirable set-up in a G-body you need to either raise the upper arms in the rear, or have some adjustment in the front to lower them. If you head over to Kevin Slaby's web site baseline suspensions. There is a description of IC, AS and some other very important suspension plotting and set-up information. The web page also has a suspension IC calculator to plot out your suspension.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
Thanks,

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012

just put those buckets in my malibu. Just had to shorten the uca's 2"

20130826_170858.jpg

20130827_121650.jpg

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012

track times this weekend

MetricBoo

Daily Driver
Sep 13, 2012

Where does you instant center and anti-squat values plot out with the 8.8?
Looking forward to your track times, good luck.

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012

MetricBoo said:
Where does you instant center and anti-squat values plot out with the 8.8?
Looking forward to your track times, good luck.

if this is for me? READ

Im looking forward to the track also.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!