Closure of 8.8 Ford axle swaps

Bricktop

Daily Driver
Jul 18, 2013
marengo, indiana
A lot of the threads kinda deadend.

Has anyone been able to properly setup an 8.8 in a Gbody yet? I don't mean just to get it drivable. I'm talking about correct pinion angle/ instant center. I see that baseline has a kit and iceman has upper control arms. But, has anyone been able to 60ft with these kits?

Bricktop

Daily Driver
Jul 18, 2013
marengo, indiana
Yup, The interest is there. From what I gather, Team z dropped their kits. seems that they required the car to be lowered. Atleast that's what Ive read. The Iceman arms, I cant find any installed pics. The Baseline kit seems like a step in the right direction. But, again. No installed pics or results.

Thinking out loud here.... I wonder how cutting the torque boxes off and re welding them would be?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
If you're going through the hassle of making a non-GM rear to fit in a G-Body, why would you go with an inferior 8.8 inch Ford rear? Why not just go with a 9-inch that has been proven for decades and decades, and is readily available from the aftermarket with all the pinion angles figured out? I've got a Currie, and it was a direct bolt-in.

Bricktop

Daily Driver
Jul 18, 2013
marengo, indiana
Inferior? That's debatable. Bob Kurgan has been 1.teens with an 8.8. They can take power properly setup. 8.8's are lighter, have less parasitic drag. That alone to me is worth digging a lil deeper.

Bricktop

Daily Driver
Jul 18, 2013
marengo, indiana
And yes, the 9 inch has been proven for decades. But, so has the 4 bolt main small blocks and big blocks. But, people are still pulling them in favor of LSx's. Myself included.

TheGreenBean

Weekend Racer
Apr 28, 2012
Kendallville, In
I to want to know all dos and donts, I can purchase a 8.8 fox rear with brand new 4.10 gears already installed for 200 bucks complete.
I just broke all of my pinion and ring gear teeth off of my 7.5. I just dont want to have a ton of money into this rear when I can purchase a drop in 9". If I can get it done under 500 I think it is a no brainer.

Just sayn

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
A nine inch could be done relatively cheap for someone with a good shop and skills. I thought about building one cheap but i came to a dead end with shortening and re-splining the stock axles. The 8.8 can take some abuse and they are cheap and easy to find. Still need to convert the wheel bolt pattern though and i'm not sure on their width. I think that by the time you did a 8.8 right, you could probably do a GN 8.5 for the same price or close to it. Just depends on what you pay for the core.

I have an 8.8 in a mustang with a BBC. Its got the JY aerostar 5 lug axles. Everytime i hit the throttle i expect one to break. I've run 12.04 at 111 mph with slicks but thats probably pushing my luck. The axle that spent its whole life in an aerostar turning one direction then swapped into my mustang turning the opposite direction will be the one that breaks. They don't like being un-twisted!
Plus they are just 28 spline!
Brian

Trick Chassis

Weekend Racer
Jan 6, 2013
Brodhead, Wi
www.trickchassis.com

I helped Blue knight with his Ic problem when he swapped his 8.8 into his 81 Malibu. We put some UCA buckets and he modified his UCA's
car is stock 5.3L about 400hp with th400 and 3.55 8.8"

Car made a 2.1 60'

after the modifications:

Car went 1.7 60'

-Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!