Looking to center rear wheel in opening

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Was always alittle off on the wheelbase after installing the 9". I didn't use the original driveshaft and for some reason the replacement was alittle short. Either I measured wrong or the shop misread my length numbers?? My wheelbase had been short roughly an 1.250" ever since. Anyway, have string lines strung and looking at near or right at 108.5" wheelbase with 3 degrees of pinion angle. Specs are 108.1" Looking for someone that has stock upper and lower arms with stock wheels and tires or something with 26" tall tires to give me an average gap measurement side to side between the tire and the front of the wheel opening. Parallel to the rocker and just touching the tire. It will most likely be different from side to side, just looking for an average. Just trying to make it look like it should.

Thanks!!
Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Re: Looking to center rear wheel in opening (Picture include

After rereading this post maybe it was alittle confusing. I know how the wheel (axle) is centered in the opening is of one's own preference if adjustable lowers are used. My wheelbase was alittle short (about an 1"- 1 1/8") and was noticable from a distance. The shaft was evidently cut to short when the 9" was installed. I believe I've got it pretty close now and a new driveshaft is being made today. I would like an averaged measured gap of both sides from a malibu with stock uppers and lowers yet and one that as never had the body off the frame. Mine has 26" tall tires, as were the stock tires, I believe, that came on our cars. This one is 3.5", the pass. side is 3.250". The average is 3-3/8". The info isn't necessary, just something I'd like to know.

Thanks!
Steve

opening001_zps057256b1.jpg

80superbu

Pro Stocker
Oct 2, 2005
Colorado springs, CO
Getting adjustable upper and lower arems is the only way I know to adjust the distance, unless you relocate brackets.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks Bryan,

I've had adjustable uppers and lowers for years. Sphon lowers and BRM uppers. I put them in when I installed the 9". I used the factory arms to baseline everything and had a new shaft made at the time. When I got it back the shaft bottomed out for whatever reason so I had them shorten it AGAIN :roll:. Don't know if I gave them the wrong numbers or if they just took too much?? It's been at least 8-10 years ago. When I went to put it back in, it was too short (again, not sure how that happened) so had to pull the wheelbase up to around 106 3/4" just to get it from not tearing the tailshaft bushing out. You can see in this picture how the rear wheel looks too far ahead.

036-Copy.jpg

I have since swapped in a 200R4 so it's time to get it done right. Strung all kinds of lines and used TRZ's method of setting wheelbase, centering the axle and setting the pinion angle. Surprising, the frame and body were pretty close and was able to get the 108" wheelbase back. So the same shop built me a new shaft to be picked up Monday. Hope it's right this time ](*,) Just wanted that average gap measurement for future reference.

Thanks,
Steve

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!