Lets talk suspension Please!! Moog 5596 front spring?

dray1979elcamino

Weekend Racer
Jun 12, 2012
Alright I have a 1979 el camino that I'm trying to get to hook up. It has a mild sbc soon to be on the bottle. I have lakewood 90/10 drag shocks up front with sway bar removed. Some cheap gas shocks in the rear. stock coils on all 4 corners. I know everyone says to get the moog non air conditioned v6 springs for the front. What part number? Also, does the rear air bag in the passenger coil work for a low 12 high 11 sec car? Or do i need to invest in a ARB? I will have either a 28 inch slick or a 275/60 drag radial on the rear by this week end. it does a cool smoke show at 40 mph now on street tires lol Any tricks and info would be much appreciated.

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
I'd say go for the slicks over the radials. Seems to work better on El Camino's. Next, I'd reccommend this: http://store.dickmillerracing.com/suspensionaddustableuppercontrolarmswithno-hopbars.aspx . They are like the Edelbrock Anti hop bars, just less severe and I've gone 1.75 in the 60' with my car running 12.96 @ 102. Personally I prefer even the factory rear sway bar over an air bag, and I plan on sepping it up to a big ARB as money allows.

The V6 springs are a help, but i don't have a specific part number handy.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i ran the lakewood no hop bars years ago on my elcamino it worked like a charm! but it wasn't a very powerful car just lots of wheel hop i'm not sure how well they work on cars that make lots of power though

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
That 5596 number is correct. and u should definately get an ARB! U won't be disappointed! I used to have the "g-body twist" problem when my car used to run low 13s. And if ur ever gonna put more power to er,especially NOS, it will become a necessity. IMO.

cooke

Amateur Racer
Jan 9, 2005
Stanton, Texas
Before I was out alot of money; I'd go buy some new slicks and put about 15 psi in the right rear air bag and see what that "nets" you. More than once I've been low 10's with low 1.40 60ft on air bags. The ARB works better as far as body roll and tire wear; but at high 11's, I honestly think you'd be wasting your money. That's JMO; not trying to step on anyone's toes.

Bad Medicine Racing

Frequent Racer
Jan 8, 2010
Grove Oak, AL
I have pulled low 1.4X with lakewood no hop bars and mid 10s in the 1/4. That was pretty much the limit on the no hops. I have made my way well into the 9s on stock rear springs and V6 front springs with just a 1 3/8" rear sway bar in the stock location. But, like my sig says, lots of people say I do things the "wrong" way.

cooke

Amateur Racer
Jan 9, 2005
Stanton, Texas
If it works; it works and sometimes when your on limited cash, you find just how fast you CAN go on "budget" or "stock" type pieces. Below is an ARB, AutoZone gas shocks on the rear, Iceman uppers, and Summit 3-way adjustables on front. All stock springs. Nothing exotic by a long shot. 1.30 60ft

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!