"YA" steering box and "B" body brake swap

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I know the excessive bump steer can be an issue. So far I can live with that. At the time that is what was available on the cheap. Done the swap and "YA" box years ago. I realize the internal stops are built into the worm and rack piston but have a question about the need for the external LCA stops.

When I did my resto I cut the rivets and removed the stops before powdercoating. I bolted em back on the other day with grade 8- 3/8" bolts. Obviously the B Body spindles are different than the G Body's cause they are still about 1/8" away from the external stops. Do I need em?

I try to stay off the stops cause I know the pressure max's out but once in awhile it happens. I recently started seeing slight leaks at the cover and the nut ends. Could this be because the extenal stops were gone and I bumped up against the cover?

Thanks,
Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
After thinking about this alittle more, the front cover must be the stop for one of the directions right? The worm and rack would have to be the other huh? Could be why I'm developing a slight leak at the cover. Anyone have much experience?

Thanks,
Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Turns out my leak was a bad hi-pres. hose ](*,) Input shaft seal was leaking but isn't now. Needed to be driven I guess. Found some pretty good articles on the different internal stops for the Saginaw 800 boxes. Seems I'm okay with my gear stopping just before the mechanical spindle stops.

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36029

Steve

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!