Source for springs?

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
I remember looking at a site a while ago that listed springs for just about everyhing you could think of, and now I can't find it. I'm looking for springs to drop the back of the wagon a bit, and can't find anywhere else that lists the parts specifically for a wagon.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Look in the back of a Moog book, or see if you can find the listings online somewhere. Use the equation for a spring to determine the new installed height.

The rear of a wagon is too heavy to work with an F body spring. Always do the math. The back of the spring book provides all of the specs where you can calculate the compressed height of the spring. Remember F=kx, where F is the force (or weight) on the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the the amount the spring is compressed due to F.

Using the specs for a stock spring, you can calculate F and then determine the compressed height when using another spring.

Marc

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
I had my buddies A-body 71 chevelle springs in my wagon for a few yrs. when I bought wagon springs last yr it raised my car 1-1 1/4" in the rear which I needed since I decided to switch to a 30" tall tire instead of the 28's I was running. They worked great and after further research at my local "old school" parts store, u know the ones that have guys who actually work on cars(unlike autozone or advance) I found that the spring rates were near the same when I looked them up and compared the two in the moog book.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,709

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Here are the Moog specs:

The stock wagon replacement spring is Moog 5391. Use those specs as a reference and calculate the correct spring based upon the change in ride height you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Using the equation "load=(free height-install height)*spring rate" I got "install height=free height-(load/spring rate)"

Does that look right, or do I need to take wire diameter and spring diameter into account somewhere?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The wire diameter and number of turns is what makes up the spring rate, so you don't need to account for them again.

Yes, "load=(free height-install height)*spring rate" is correct.
"install height=free height-(load/spring rate)" is also correct.

Marc

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
Great, thanks!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!