Single or double adjustable front shocks?

1982 SS

Frequent Racer
Jan 19, 2007
Clearfield, Utah
I'm beginning to get things together to get my front end more drag race friendly. Currently my El Camino is running 12.96 @ 102 with a best 60' of a 1.75. It has the heavy duty factory springs and kyb gas-a-just shocks. I would like to swap to the v6 spring and an adjustable shock to tune my front end better. What's the better way to go, single or double adjustable? it seems like at the power level I'm at and even down into the 10 second range, a single adjustable shock is all i really need. Any thoughts on which way would be better to go? I'm looking at the qa1's, the stranges, the afco's or even UMI's viking shocks. Any input would be appreciated.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I use QA1 single adjustables up front. Have gone 1.2X 60 foots with it. As with everything, get the best you can afford. Can you make due with a single? Yes. I will say that cheapie three way adjustables up front did NOT work for me, but do work in the back with a 28x10 slick.

UMI Sales

Amateur Racer
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for mentioning UMI!

We've had good success with the Viking products. They're double adjustable meaning compression and rebound are independent. 19 clicks each channel. Full soft at zero, mega firm at 19. The nice thing is you can tailor the front end landing perfectly with so much compression adjustment.

QA1's doubles work just as well with the Vikings getting the nod due to the price factor.

QA1 singles come in two types. Single and "R". The Single has one knob that adjusts both channels. A low setting equals easy rebound and a corresponding lowering in compression damping. These work well for a car that doesn't get the front tires off the ground. A softer compression setting doesn't hurt so much.

The R series has a higher compression curve which means even at light rebound the compression is relatively high. This lets a wheelie car land without bottoming. These are more of the traditional 90/10 feeling of damper.

Three way adjustables from various companies are also a valid alternative but you may need an in-between setting to optimize things.

Double adjustables of course are always "better" but that doesn't mean you can't go fast on the other ones. Many of our super fast customers keep it simple and still fly. It's all about balancing the budget with your expectations. Hit it right at a good price and you're happy. The DA's in either brand guarantee performance and tuning yet at a higher initial price tag...

ramey
1982 SS said:
I'm beginning to get things together to get my front end more drag race friendly. Currently my El Camino is running 12.96 @ 102 with a best 60' of a 1.75. It has the heavy duty factory springs and kyb gas-a-just shocks. I would like to swap to the v6 spring and an adjustable shock to tune my front end better. What's the better way to go, single or double adjustable? it seems like at the power level I'm at and even down into the 10 second range, a single adjustable shock is all i really need. Any thoughts on which way would be better to go? I'm looking at the qa1's, the stranges, the afco's or even UMI's viking shocks. Any input would be appreciated.

82dragonwagon

Daily Driver
Apr 12, 2013
I'm thinking I'll just do the coilover conversion from qa1. Probably just the single adjustable. THe double adjustables are almost 300.00 more then the singles.

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
After talking with the guys at TRZ, they like the strange pieces over QA1s. So I upgraded from comp 3ways at all 4 corners to the strange single adjustables all 4 corners. I am AMAZED at the difference in performance of these shocks and how they made my car transfer just right to get me the best 60' and ET ive ever had. No big wheelie, came up about 10" and just shot out. 1.45 60', 6.57 @104mph in the 1/8th and 10.405 @ 126 in 1/4! compared to 1.49 and 6.68 @101mph and 10.54 @ 123mph in the 1/4. Instead of wasting my power pullin big wheelies, shocks helped it apply the power to movin my car fwd. and with a racer discount through jegs, I go them for $130 each instead of $150. I run stock v6 springs in front and stock wagon springs in back with an ARB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,703

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts