TRZ Manual Rack, Worth it?

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I was just wondering if anyone has used the TRZ manual rack and pinion steering on their cars. Is it worth the money spent? Is it something you can drive on the street everyday or is it more for drag purposes? Is there a significant weight savings from the factory steering?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
From what I understand, since you cannot use a sway bar with the TRZ kit, it's for drag only. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't want to drive a car with 35 year old suspension technology on the street with no sway bar in the front. I know some out there will disagree, but the wagon they just built on Horsepower TV on Spike used a rack and pinion setup, and they retained a sway bar in the front. I think that setup looked killer! Granted, not an oem style bar, but if TRZ ever made one like that, I'd be first in line for my pro touring build!

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I've read more than a few times that the TRZ won't work with the sway bar. Maybe they meant the STOCK one...Hmmmmm. If they'd offer a power one, I'd get it! I'm done with manual steering.

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
TURNA said:
TNT still making theres?
Good question, I don't see it on their site.
I think it was a bolt in kit. It used the sway bar mounting points.

81malibu329

Amateur Racer
Aug 1, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I would get a power steering rack if there was one available. I had just planned on purchasing a suspension kit and the factory steering leaves much to be desired.

elcoholic

Amateur Racer
Feb 4, 2008
Omaha, NE
I've got a trz rack. to be honest, I wasn't impressed with the mounts at all. One of the mounts included a hose clamp! My first thought was....hose clamps are for hoses. Their mounts got tossed...and made my own....no hose clamp. Shy of that...I'm happy with the kit and it drives just fine. I also have 15 x 3.5's up front, so I'm sure that makes it easier to steer regardless of the steering components. And to answer the initial question....Yes, there was a significant difference from the weight of the factory steering components.

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
They are pricey....Why not just go with the manual s-10 box??

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
JBreu said:
They are pricey....Why not just go with the manual s-10 box??
I did to start. The one I had had a lot of play. The rack is lighter also, but that wasn't important to me, and it changes the geometry some too.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!