G body Twist

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
My car suffers bad from the notorious twist. What can help it ie. Air bags, anti roll bars without getting too expensive??

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Start by checking the simple things. Body mounts and if your frame might be rotted around them. Most g-bodies have some rot around the bushings. Replace the mounts and fix the frame with the repair washers then go from there. You can help a lot with the simple things, factory frame braces from Grand Prix's, aftermarket rear frame/bumper tie in, radiator cross bars, back seats cross bars, etc. I'm guessing your a drag guy so the next thing is rear control arms and then a rear ant-roll bar-not a sway bar. TRZ a site sponsor makes them and have heard nothing but good things about them. check here http://www.trzmotorsports.com/319.html#rear

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
my car has no rot, all bushings are perfect , I have an 8 pt cage in it. It is an 87 SS and has all the f41 stiffening braces and rear seat braces. I have rear control arms with pinion angle set at -2*. I'll look into an antiroll bar for the rear. someone told me to put air shocks in the rear also...what do you think?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Sounds like you have a great start, I'd go straight for the the anti-roll bar. The air shocks are really for a street car for looks to fit bigger tires so they wont rub, not for drag racing. You could try an air bag in the r/r, but thats still a bandaid. The anti-roll bar will allow it to launch straight.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
if you drive it on the street as much as you race it, i'd look into something like the BMR or sphon bolt-in ARB. check slimbo's car out....he's running one of those.

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
I will deff look into it. I kind of knew the air shocks wouldn't help. An Air bag ...ehhhhh.
Thanks guys.

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
ok now another question...... I have a GN 8.5" rear. What size are the axel tubes?? the BMR kit comes in 3 sizes

pwr6kid

Nov 15, 2010
Get the 2.75" its for a gn with stock axle tubes, bolted right up on my car. 87 GN with stock rear.

BillySS

Frequent Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Matawan,NJ
Ordered them 2.75" Thanks

Chris Van

Amateur Racer
Jan 22, 2007
Middle Georgia
ANTI ROLL BAR!!!!
I promise ya, you won't be dissappointed. That is one of the best investments I ever made as far as suspension goes on my car. Pretty sure I posted some before and after pics on here somewhere quite a while back.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!