Suspension lean/sag, can't figure it out???

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Let me start from the beginning... When we started on the Father/Son project Malibu, it had a slight lean or sag on the driver's side. It appeared to be the front spring. So, i replaced all four springs during the initial construction. It seemed to help but still seemed about .5 - 1" lower on the driver's side. So, I took it to a local brake/alignment shop that I (usually) trust to install new front springs and check everything out to see if there were any issues. He said he found none. After a while, the car seemed to be leaning even worse, so I took it back to him. He said that everything looked fine, so the spring must be bad. I doubted that, but said OK....

I ordered new springs again. While I was waiting for the new springs to come the lower ball joint on that side broke. Which pushed the fender back into the door. The front of the door now rubs against the fender. :evil: I thought that HAD to be the suspension leaning problem.

The failed ball joint enlarged the hole in the spindle, so it had to be replaced. I had trouble finding a replacement spindle, so I decided to order Belltech 2" drop spindles and stock height replacement springs. I also replaced the upper and lower ball joints on both sides, new Moog 5600 springs, new bushings in the lower control arms and new shocks. Got everything installed and it is STILL leaning to the drivers side. I measured the frame rail to ground on each side, the driver's side is 1" lower. What the heck is going on???? Practically everything is new on the front end. I can't figure this one out. Could an alignment issue cause this much of a sag? Could the frame be damaged? Anyone got any ideas? See pictures below:

Malibu_sag_front_view.jpg

Malibu_sag_drivers_side.jpg

Malibu_sag_passenger_side.jpg

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
The rear springs are practically new. But you're right, I may have to replace them if they sit lower than the front springs.

79Creeper

Daily Driver
It just seems that the whole driver side is sitting lower then the passenger side. Have you thought about swaping the springs from side to side. Dont know alot about susp. But it might be worth a shot. I would also check the a arm bushings

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Maybe a bushing is binding. You could try loosening all of the a-arm and control arm bushings and letting the car settle.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Phil I think you've pretty much narrowed it down to a frame issue :( Take it to a competent body shop and let them check the frame specs. I bet they're off. That will open a whole can of worms as far as panel fitment though if you do get it straightened. Also, make sure your ONLY measuring from the frame to the ground though. G-bodies from the north tend to rot the body around the body mounts and they will sag over the frame and mount some causing it "sit" lower.

chop57

Frequent Racer
Oct 26, 2008
g-town mass
what about the spring pockets on the lower A frame? Is one spring rotated more than the other causing one side to be a little higher?

If it makes you feel better I had a 82 s10 with the exact same issue, leaned 1" to the driver side. But I just didn't care lol.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I had a similar problem with my 67 Chevelle. I changed everything, body bushings,front and rear springs, ball joints, front and rear control arm bushings. Still had a 1/2"-3/4" sag on the passengers side. I ended up putting a small spacer in the front spring and added an additional rubber isolator on the rear spring. That leveled it out. I also had the frame checked, but there were no apparent issues with it.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Let me ask this, what is the proper way to adjust the swaybar endlinks? I tightened both the same amount.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!