Stop my wheel hop.

Jun 1, 2010
Amery, WI
When I break my tires loose I get a really bad wheel hop in the rear. I never used to have this problem, but I put on new tires 235/60 R14 Cooper Cobras, and new coil springs (heavier wagon cargo coils) at the same time. Before I had the regular old worn springs and old (hard) tires. So, I'm not sure if it is the springs or tires or both causing this problem. I have a detroit trutrac lsd with somewhere around 3.23 gears behind a th400. The motor is a mildly built 350 so maybe 275/325 HP max. I get a pretty good launch like this, but like I said if I do a burnout or take off and do a broadside burnout off the corner she just hops violently. Car is a '79 Malibu Classic 2 door.

cantwaittill420

Jun 1, 2010
Amery, WI
Yeah, it made it a little taller. Mostly just holds the height better. That was the reason for the springs, because tires would rub the fenders over bumps, now it doesn't. Before I could spin the tires and skate around like I was on ice, now it just hops.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i had that real bad before. i used the no hop bars from lakewood.they worked.I'm sure their are more ways the fix it but that worked for me.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Stiffer springs can make wheel hop worse. You need a taller spring with a lower rate to bring your ride height up to eliminate the tire rub & reduce the wheel hop.

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Energy Suspension polyurethane Bushings Stopped the wheel hop on my toys. The 81 Malibu has a complete kit 355-3-3169G . The 78 El Camino only has the new Energy Suspension polyurethane Bushings in the lower control arm only and has no wheel hop.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!