Second opinion on heads...

chevyman2002

Daily Driver
Jan 6, 2013
Building a small block 400 with forged internals and domed pistons (don't recall the measurements) aimed around 14.1 compression on straight methanol fuel.. Already have the rotating assembly thrown together and using this camshaft (free). Left the block at stock specifications but I'm faced with a decision on what set of heads to run. Not incredibly concerned with prices but obviously want it to be reasonable for a novice.. Intended use being drag racing (1/8 mile). Let me know if anyone has suggestions. Thanks!

prairiehotrodder

Pro Stocker
Dec 17, 2005
Melfort Saskatchewan Canada
there are many different brands of heads out there and everyone has their favorites. I've used dart and AFR's with great luck but after reading the latest engine masters magazine i would be tempted to look into Air Wolf heads from DR. J's
brian

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Nice short block to be using that crummy flat cam.

chevyman2002

Daily Driver
Jan 6, 2013
prairiehotrodder said:
there are many different brands of heads out there and everyone has their favorites. I've used dart and AFR's with great luck but after reading the latest engine masters magazine i would be tempted to look into Air Wolf heads from DR. J's
brian

I'm kinda liking the flow numbers of the AFR 195 Eliminators but, not trying to spend a fortune, as the cliche goes on. Will see if I can track down some good used ones, hah.
Ed Cannon said:
Nice short block to be using that crummy flat cam.

True but the cam was free. Have a whopping $600 invested so far. Trying to be cheap in an expensive hobby! I'll give in here and there to fork over money as needed, likely in the area of heads..

The engine should have NO trouble making stupid amounts of power but I don't want to come back after a race or two, upgrading parts because it's not enough.. Granted, it's also the first drag car I've ever had so, I have to keep that in mind also..

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
It's kind of hard to give advice w/o knowing what your goals are and what the rest of your package is going to be. I'm gathering its a G-body and drag only. Thats a lot of piston w/ a 106 ls your peak pressures are going to be up there. What crank do you have?

chevyman2002

Daily Driver
Jan 6, 2013
Not sure what brand crank it is but the engine is stock bore and stroke. Pistons appear to be around +140cc and the car is going to be drag only. Mini tubbed, spool, th350 transmission. Most of the parts were traded but new rings and bearings. Someone is offering me a set of 10088113 heads that have been literally ported as far as they can go without going through and have been milled. He's going to cc them and tell me what that made the chambers.. Still fitted for 1.94/1.60 valves and the exhaust pets were ported, also. Only downside would be that my compression would likely be no less than 14.5:1 at that point..

chevyman2002

Daily Driver
Jan 6, 2013
Sorry, aiming for mid-6s at the 1/8.. Intake is still to be determined after the heads and it has 373s right now. I can change gears and whatever else I need to do. Car is stripped inside. I'm going to grab a solid axle 9" to replace the current 7.5 spooled rearend.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
That's a pretty tall order. Please don't take this wrong I'm not trying to bust your chops - just trying to help you out - others chime in if you will. You are going to need 600hp to obtain your goal. 14/1 compression is too much, understood thats what you have that's what your using. I asked you what crank you have because most aftermarkets are internally balanced make sure you use the proper flywheel and balancer, you need sfi equipment to be legal- I don't believe GM ever made a forged 400 crank. If it was me I would hard block the 400 they are prone to cracking 14/1 @600hp won't help. With 14/1 I hope you use studs with a good head gaskets. Those heads are too small - I believe they have 163 runners stock & 58cc chambers. That camshaft won't get you there either. And don't use some converted carb - I would suggest a Rupert or an APD alcohol carb. 600 HP doesn't come cheap

chevyman2002

Daily Driver
Jan 6, 2013
No offense taken from any of that, of course. I posted wanting other people's input, haha. I understand that I'm not going to drive out to the track and run mid-6's first time out. I'd be happy if it was low 7's really. I bought a 1050cfm Holley Dominator that was already running methanol in it with 165 jets. Looking at using a high rise intake with at least one nitrous plate. Obviously the cam isn't the greatest and I'm not too confident in those heads. But what would you recommend?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!