I have no idea about alcohol. What would I need to convert?

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Right now, I have a 3200 lbs bracket Chevelle with a 540. The car goes 9.20's with a best of 9.08, 147. I am thinking about converting to alcohol for the benefits of cooler engine, cheaper fuel, more power, but what are the drawbacks other than warm up time. The car has a Magnafuel 500 pump and 8 gallon cell in the rear with a Magnafuel big port regulator up front. Can these work or do they need conversion? I have a CFM 1150 carb on it that would need to be converted to alcohol. Is a vacuum pump mandatory, I don't have one. Is there any issues with oil changes, ring and bearing life? This engine does not get freshened every year. I was thinking about changing the pistons to get closer to 15:1 from the 13:1 I am at now, but I would also have them gas ported. I have read about leanout valves and stuff like that, but I am nervous because I really know little about it. Thanks for your help. Ray.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
Re: I have no idea about alcohol. What would I need to conv

Your pump is more than sufficient. If your plumbing is large enough you're good to go with just converting the carburetor. Nothing else is required. Leave the timing the same, leave the fuel pressure the same, maybe one step hotter spark plug, and install a leanout valve. Then go and enjoy all of the benefits of "The Nectar of God". I check my oil for dilution all the time and have had it diluted only once and that was because of a piece of debris in the needle and seat caused a flooding condition. Hope this helps, Lee

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

I was told that I might need a mechanical belt pump and forward cell. If thats the case I don't want to do it.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL

Some guys like the belt drive pump, but it's not necessary. Volume is the key, you have to have enough volume.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

Well, I am trying to get a definitive answer. I tried calling Rupert, and Ken Jones but so far no answer. I don't know if a 400 gph pump is enough.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL

That 500 pump is more than enough to keep up. Change the carb and roll with it!

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL

I run a Pro Star 500 and it's good to about 2000 HP. Way more than enough.

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa

Ok, here is what I was told by CFM technologies.

#1. A belt drive pump is mandatory. My pump is not large enough based on the required extra volume.
#2. An alcohol carb does not work on linear fuel pressure. It needs about 3 lbs at idle and 10 psi wide open and the only way to do this is engine driven pump.
#3. If the car 60's near 1.20 you need a forward cell.

They told me that my stuff would work on like a 6-700 hp application. but near 900, would need a mech pump. He suggested that I run Q16 and just go with that for now.

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL

I don't know what to tell you then. Mine is just under 700 HP, about 670-680. My fuel pressure is set at 6 1/2 to 7 lbs. Rear mounted cell, -8 fuel line. I have no issues with it. My car 60 foots about 1.38 but has been 1.30. If you are a member of yellowbullet.com you can send a PM to a guy there with the username of Uncle Paul. He is an expert on alcohol systems and has helped me in the past. Good luck, Lee

Doug Keen

Pro Stocker
May 22, 2003
Central, Illinois

Lee, you know that alky will never work.... :D To the original poster, the alky switch debate is amongst the top of the dead horses that have been beaten. So carb guys go straight to the belt drive deal, because there is always some hilljack that has a Holley blue pump telling them that its a good electric pump. My advice is if you are going to run the carb from CFM and their advice is to go belt drive, you may want to go belt drive otherwise if it doesn't work out they will hang that over your head. I know (I have personally witnessed Mr Lee "racecar77") that with a Quick Fuel Alky carb, -8 line and just a simple dead head regulator it works flawlessly.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!