Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » TECHNICAL » Alcohol/Ethanol

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 pm 
Dragway Regular

Unfortunately I have to disagree there. 3 people have told me I need a mechanical pump. One told me to go mechanical and not screw around, another told me that I was right on the edge for an electric, but since I was running 1/4 mile, a mechanical would be best. Finally CFM carbs, who is very respected in carb building said mechanical. And he spelled out Lee's combo to a T for the parts he is using and that they would work fine. A mechanical pump, brackets, and carb rebuild will get me up over $2000 easily. Not to mention forward fuel cell, and new plumbing.

My old 78
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/ ... usquet.jpg

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm 
Pro Stocker

That's totally your call to spend your money. I know too many people running alcohol using a plain old Holley blue pump from a fuel cell in the trunk and have no issues running 8-9 second 1/4 miles year after year. You say they are respected in the business, I say they are trying to seel you stuff you don't need.

out

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:10 pm 
Pro Stocker

Hey, I use Q16 I feel your pain. My car isn't much faster now than Lee, and if I hadn't witnessed the performance increase he saw I would have called B.S. If you already have a 9.0-9.20 car I doubt you would see the type of gain he did. The lower engine temps would be the biggest plus to help turn the car around for another hit. If I were building a car from scratch, I would probably set it up with a front mount cell and a belt drive. Gas or Alky. 15' of -10 hose isn't cheap or light weight no matter how you slice it. I explored doing a front mount cell in mine years ago, but it was too much of a PITA with a "stock" front end and engine bay.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:29 am 
Dragway Regular

The alky won't pick your car up much. It picks up slower cars a lot, and the faster you get the less it helps. My dragster ran the same on gas and alcohol.

If you only race 5 or 6 times a year, and are worried about cooling it, buy a bug sprayer and stay busy between rounds.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:09 am 
Dragway Regular

Hitman wrote:
The alky won't pick your car up much. It picks up slower cars a lot, and the faster you get the less it helps. My dragster ran the same on gas and alcohol.

If you only race 5 or 6 times a year, and are worried about cooling it, buy a bug sprayer and stay busy between rounds.

It was more a project to see if I could get the car into the 8's. It has gone 9.08 So I thought MAYBE alcohol would make a little more power to get there. But like was said above, I have no room for a front mounted cell. At my track, there are almost NO stock front end door cars going as fast as I am. Super Pro is all dragsters, and the cars going low 9's high 8's are glass nose, tube chassis cars. One guy that did it, has a 57 and the front of his engine compartment is HUGE.

My old 78

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:14 am 
Dragway Regular

80superbu wrote:
That's totally your call to spend your money. I know too many people running alcohol using a plain old Holley blue pump from a fuel cell in the trunk and have no issues running 8-9 second 1/4 miles year after year. You say they are respected in the business, I say they are trying to seel you stuff you don't need.

out

So you're telling me a 110 gph blue pump, on alcohol which has to pump 1.2X gas volume or more is sufficient? So basically a 90 gph pump can supply a 800 hp motor?

My old 78

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:04 pm 
Dragway Regular

A holley blue won't supply enough fuel, no matter what he says.

We had 2 holley blues when we first bolted an alcohol carb on my brothers car in 1998 and the minute you left the starting line the fuel pressure went to 0.

I ran a BG400 on my dragster on alcohol, it was first on gas, and then George converted it for me. Worked okay.

Nothing but belt drives since. Fuel cell in the trunk on my 79 Malibu worked fine. Fuel cell in the back of my wagon did not work, so it's now up front.

Even if I was on gas, I'd run a belt drive pump.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:14 am 
Dragway Regular

Hitman wrote:
A holley blue won't supply enough fuel, no matter what he says.

We had 2 holley blues when we first bolted an alcohol carb on my brothers car in 1998 and the minute you left the starting line the fuel pressure went to 0.

I ran a BG400 on my dragster on alcohol, it was first on gas, and then George converted it for me. Worked okay.

Nothing but belt drives since. Fuel cell in the trunk on my 79 Malibu worked fine. Fuel cell in the back of my wagon did not work, so it's now up front.

Even if I was on gas, I'd run a belt drive pump.

That's basically what I'm being told by everyone in this power range. Thanks.

My old 78

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:47 pm 
Pro Stocker

Switching can get expensive. I have almost $2K in mine from the switch but then again the only part I had that would work with alky was the dang fuel cell lol. Good luck in whatever choice you make on the alky.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:14 pm 
Frequent Racer

Just thinking out loud here as I am in pretty much the same dilemma as you, could you just add a belt driven pump and leave your cell in the trunk with the electric pump feeding the mech?

78 Bu, 427 BBC, TH400, 9" w/4:33's
"Never rub another man's rhubarb" The Joker

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:29 am 
Dragway Regular

http://racepumps.com/CircleTrackIndex.html
My want to look at this pump. It's what I have and I like it so far. But I do realize you have a lot more power than me.

< Worlds slowest 7.00 car!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 am 
Dragway Regular

Doing some more research on this,
Racepump= 450gph (max)
Magnafuel=500gph (max)
Beltdrive =480gph (@4000rpm)

Will the Belt drive gph go up with rpm after 4000?

< Worlds slowest 7.00 car!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:43 am 
Dragway Regular

Those "Racepumps" don't work. Tried one, it was junk.

My BG belt drive has whatever fuel pressure at the finish line I want it to have. If I want 8, it's solid 8, if it's 12, it's solid 12. No jumping around. I also have just a couple lbs at idle.

I let my dad make a couple licks in my wagon to say he'd ran in the 10's. We then unbolted the alky carb, put on a gas carb, set the pressure to 7, and made runs on gasoline within 30 minutes of starting. They are just virtually fool proof.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:01 am 
Dragway Regular

dasbrdr wrote:
Just thinking out loud here as I am in pretty much the same dilemma as you, could you just add a belt driven pump and leave your cell in the trunk with the electric pump feeding the mech?

I don't think this was one of the options. I think I was told to use a small cell in the front and let the pump gravity draw off of it. However, the stuff in the trunk could be used to fill the front cell. I think the issue was pressure feeding the belt pump.

My old 78

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:56 am 
Amateur Racer

I would go with the belt drive pump myself , Electric pumps sometimes have a lag in delivery when you go wide open throttle with Alky. The bigger the motor & the lines the worse it is to much of a chance of lean out and rear mounted cell are worse . A belt drive pump will increase the demand of delivery at wide open the faster you spin it the more volume it provides . You will also need to have a big port or big volume regulator and make sure you get it as close to the carb as possible. Its a toss up to me Alky reguires lots more maintenance and I am sure the oil you run is not cheep you will be changing that more often , I would say if your motor is over 13.50 make the change if its less the power per dollar gain is not worth it.

Nicks are DEXTER, CRUNKY and THE MADD SCIENTEST
Home Of JMS.RACING ENGINES of TEXAS / JONES MOTOR SPORTS.
Thanks to Malibu Racing .Com, All of my customers and people that refer business to me.

Board index » TECHNICAL » Alcohol/Ethanol