85 TURBO GRAND PRIX FOR E-85 T-4 TURBO FLANGE MOUNT PICTURES

Apr 16, 2011
Hello,
I have a 85' Grand Prix Pontiac Powered engine,462ci...at 13:1,with a fast crank change,I can get it down to drop the pistons down in cyliner's around .10" each,comes to around 9:2.1CR,so almost perfect with E-85.Now what I am really needing some pics of how you other guyes mounted your T-4 Flange GT45 size turbo to mount on the passengers side frame rail,I have a T-4 x 3/8" flange ,plasma cut to gasket,need some ideas on where to mount it and why?Single Turbo to 4" piping all of it,hot and cold sides?Please just send any single turboed Chevy or Pontiac GP pics that will guilde me in the right way..Thanks for all your help..Or please let me know where to move this topic to as I am new to here.Thanks for all your help....
Regards,
Jason

Attachments

• DSCF4908.JPG
    DSCF4908.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,530
  • DSCF4953.JPG
    DSCF4953.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 2,531
  • DSCF4916.JPG
    DSCF4916.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 2,530

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
Re: 85 TURBO GRAND PRIX FOR E-85 T-4 TURBO FLANGE MOUNT PICT

Is this a single turbo build?
If so that single 45 is too small for most sbc's and is way too small for a 462 cid.

To the question, if you do not have solid motor mounts or motor plate you can not rigidly mount the turbo to the frame and leave the motor flopping around on rubber mounts.
If you have cushion mounts you must hang the turbo off the motor.

85TURBOGRANDPRIX

Apr 16, 2011

Hello,
OK it does have a Front and mid plate,block is filled so on,full roller engine ect...So I had only planned on running up around 6000 rpms with the one GT45 Turbo,what will the one do,as far as like will it just hit a wall and stop producing boost,I have done some reasearch on this turbo,and they seem to hold up well,but my large CI. does have me concerned???I just wonder what it will do as far as lag,and other vairables of a turbo car.This will be my first turbo charged engine,my brother has a F2 Procharger so we got a little of "hillbilly" knolwedge?Any help would be appreciated.Thanks Robert1320
PS The Desktop Dyno Program he has been using for around 10 years said it would put out about 738 FT.LBS torque at 2800,and at 7000rpm 1012HP at the crank?I know dyno programs are for estimates and such,but he has got this one setup to with in a tenth of a second versus real life runs of the input info,so I tend to believe its real close to these #'s.

Robert1320 said:
Is this a single turbo build?
If so that single 45 is too small for most sbc's and is way too small for a 462 cid.

To the question, if you do not have solid motor mounts or motor plate you can not rigidly mount the turbo to the frame and leave the motor flopping around on rubber mounts.
If you have cushion mounts you must hang the turbo off the motor.

Robert1320

Pro Stocker

85TURBOGRANDPRIX said:
Hello,
OK it does have a Front and mid plate,block is filled so on,full roller engine ect...So I had only planned on running up around 6000 rpms with the one GT45 Turbo,what will the one do,as far as like will it just hit a wall and stop producing boost,I have done some reasearch on this turbo,and they seem to hold up well,but my large CI. does have me concerned???I just wonder what it will do as far as lag,and other vairables of a turbo car.This will be my first turbo charged engine,my brother has a F2 Procharger so we got a little of "hillbilly" knolwedge?Any help would be appreciated.Thanks Robert1320
PS The Desktop Dyno Program he has been using for around 10 years said it would put out about 738 FT.LBS torque at 2800,and at 7000rpm 1012HP at the crank?I know dyno programs are for estimates and such,but he has got this one setup to with in a tenth of a second versus real life runs of the input info,so I tend to believe its real close to these #'s.

Jason

That combo will never make those numbers. Not being harsh to honest. The Gt 45 are small turbos. The garrett only flows into the 60 lbs per min, and they have small hotsides to boot. 60lbs a min does NOT support 1000hp. For a single you need 80~88mm compressor and a T-6 hotside with a good sized turbine.
As for spool time and building boost, it is about the proper combo of parts. Trans brake, stall, tune, two~three step ect.... We can spool a 101mm turbo with a sub 300 inch motor

This is the map for a Garrett GT45 not a smaller import version.

fig3_enlarged.gif

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!