Has anyone tried setting up there car for E85 fuel?

malibu7800

Daily Driver
Feb 13, 2011
Northampton MA
Hi There,
I have been looking into E85 fuel and think it is possible to set up my 78 malibu to run on it but before I start researching it I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and if it worked or not? From my understanding, really all you have to do is double the fuel delivery to accomadate the ethanol. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

phtmbu

Frequent Racer
Jul 24, 2010
Go to horsepowerinnovations.com or Quick Fuel.Good info on there websites.

killer406

Amateur Racer
I had my carb converted by Classic Motorsports(http://www.e85racecarbs.com) and love it. I can now drive my 11.25:1 406 with out having to cough up $6 for a gallon of race gas, plus there's an E85 station about 5 miles from my house. From what I understand the engine needs 30% more fuel. You can get kits to do the conversion yourself, but I choose to pay to have it done($275 three years ago), because they dyno'd it on a simillar engine to get the fuel curves close, eliminating any guesswork on my behalf. As far as the rest of my fuel system, it's a Holley Black pump and Russel twist-loc lines.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
Both my cars are on the ethanol based fuel, one e98 and the other e85. Its a great budget race fuel

killer406

Amateur Racer
Darracq said:
Does it have a nasty smell inside the car?
The exhaust does have a unique scent, but I don't notice it in my car.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
Its not too bad, I guess it depends on where you have the exhaust exit. Not as bad as methanol and doesn't burn your eyes.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I'm running an EBL (http://www.dynamicefi.com) on my truck, and with the fuel injectors/pressure I'm running them at I believe I have enough volume capacity to do an E85 tune on my truck. Like killer406 I lived only about 10 minutes from a station with E85 in Michigan. There is supposedly a gas station with E85 about 15 minutes from where I live out here, but I had done some searching yesterday on my phone and couldn't find it. I remember seeing it, just trying to figure out the station's name and where exactly it is. There are several stations in AZ that carry it, but most aren't reasonably close to me.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!