Anybody running e85?

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Really considering going green with my new motor. e85 is WAY cheaper than race fuel. It will support the 12.5 -1 compression I am going to have. Anybody else running 'Flex Fuel'?

I already got a Holley black and was thinking I would be better off with a new carb, not wanting to cut up or change a good 850 double pumper. I was leaning towards Quick Fuel...

amng04

Weekend Racer
May 20, 2010
Berea, KY
I made the switch last year and really like it. I thought about buying a new carb but ended up just having my carb converted by Classic Motorsports.

cherp22

Top Fueler
Apr 12, 2004
Roxana, IL
I am running straight ethanol (e98) on the Monte and e85 on the Cutlass. Definitely beats the high dollar fuel prices for gas. The Monte is 12.5:1 and the Cutlass is 10.1 on 8 lbs of boost. I had my carb converted by ultimate speed and machine here locally and mix my own fuel

454RAT

Pro Stocker
Mar 19, 2004
Summerville, SC
I am converting to E-85 for my malibu, its a low compression bbc with a paxton. Ultimate Speed and performance is converting the carb over for me as well.

quickie70

Weekend Racer
Feb 20, 2008
Denver, CO
I run E85 in my race car currently. Had Mark Sullens do the carb (dragchevette on many forums). Here's what I've learned so far:
o test all of your fuel. it's not hard, just need the graduated cylinder, some water, and a bit of time
o get a wideband O2 sensor. Eth, like meth, doesn't color plugs. takes a ton of the guesswork out of it, and run it high in the exhaust pipe so it doesn't fill with water.
o run a carb setup for it, don't use the QF conversions. they suck.
o keep heat in the motor, burnout 160, stage 170-175. Ethanol is not methanol. needs some heat.

Malibu Monte

Frequent Racer
Building my new 12.5:1 big block Malibu to run on E85. Not sure what carb I am going to go with yet, but have talked with a lot of the conversion guys. My dad runs an early E85 Quick fuel 750 and has never had a minutes trouble with it. I would like to get one only bigger, but don't know if I can shake it.

Night Stalker

Dragway Regular
Nov 3, 2009
Genoa,Oh
quickie70 said:
o get a wideband O2 sensor. Eth, like meth, doesn't color plugs. takes a ton of the guesswork out of it, and run it high in the exhaust pipe so it doesn't fill with water.
o run a carb setup for it, don't use the QF conversions. they suck.
o keep heat in the motor, burnout 160, stage 170-175. Ethanol is not methanol. needs some heat.

Both require some sort of lean out valve to build heat, once temp is achieved in motor it'll hold its temp as long as the carb isn't fat or rich..

Rule of thumb for carb to be almost dead on is for it to gain 7-10* on a pass 12* is max!

85monte_ss

Amateur Racer
Dec 18, 2008
washington mo
i run it in my monte and it is great i also had mark sullens change mine over and i think he is the best in the bussiness and he his a great guy to talk to

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Although I haven't started messing with it yet (mainly because I'm still working on fine tuning the truck, plus it's only 9.6:1 with iron heads) I wouldn't mind setting up a tune for it on the truck. I'm pretty sure the injectors can handle the extra fuel, right now their max duty cycle is only around 60%, together they're theoretically capable of about 230lbs./hr. of fuel. at their current pressure.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!