Column shift bracket removal?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I have a second column that was a column shifter which I'm considering using. I have a floor shifter, so I'd like your ideas on how to remove the shifter bracket a d make it look nice?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I did this twice already, and it works great. I cut the piece that holds the shifter lever as close as possible to the column body. I grind it just below level. I JB WELD a piece of steel bent to look kind of like a big staple (if you can picture that) and glue that into the hole just short of flush. Then, using short-strand fiberglass body filler, shape the whole area with a couple coats, using 220 grit between coats. I feather the repair area a good 3 inches into the non-damaged area. I use the fiberglass bondo because it doesn't shrink in high heat (interiors of cars routinely get 120 degrees at a car show, or parked in the sun), and is very strong and will NOT crack. Prime and paint, and you're good to go!

shoedoos

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2008
what do you do about the linkage at the foot of the column that connects the shaft/cable to the trans?

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
If you're permanently changing over to a floor-mounted shifter, it's not ever going to be needed, so cut the bracket off and grind it flat with the column. If you'd EVER go back to a column shifter, just leave it on there. You barely see it anyways.

shoedoos

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2008
The reason I asked is the key won't release from the tumbler if that bracket isn't set in the Park position....if it is cut off, things could get sticky....

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
The floor shift column has the lever on it. So if I remove the lever bracket, it will be like the floor shift column.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I never had problems doing what I suggested. I've done it twice. I forgot about the key interlock. I think I just set mine in "park" and cut off the tab on the column. No real reason to touch it again after that. I painted mine semi-gloss black when I was done, and it looked great. I wish I took pictures of the process :(

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!