Adhesive remover

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I purchased some used plastic door panels and have removed the carpet. What do you use to remove the old adhesive. I want them clean so I can paint with SEM light oak. Any ideas welcome.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
My wife seen someone online using olive oil. She tried it and it worked well. She washed it with Dawn dish soap. I then prepped it the SEM plastic prep. Then used SEM light oak spray to cover it. In my eyes it looks good.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Haha it's been a long day. I didn't notice that you replied to your own post. Glad it worked out for you!

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
When I removed the carpet from my door panels I set them on saw horses and poured lacquer thinner directly onto the carpet. Let it soak on for a few minutes and the glue softened up enough for the carpet to just peel right off. Then I used thinner to remove the rest of the remaining glue. I know, most folks would worry that lacquer thinner will eat up the plastic. Ive used it on multiple panels with no harm at all. I just took the top sticker and all the glue off of a Cutlass radiator shroud with it on Monday. Get a can, try it on the back. It works well.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!