Column shifter handle replacement?

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
Yeah, I know, who wants a column shift? Well, I do. It's sort of a "sleeper" thing, it's original like most things on the car and I actually row the gears with it at the strip. No, I've never missed a shift with it, either, though I am very deliberate when I do this.

Well, mine's falling off now- the plastic end part. It's basically just sitting on the end of the shifter stalk. I can pop it on and off with two fingers. Splines are all stripped out and the plastic itself seems to be degrading.

Thought about just globbing up some 2-part epoxy schmoo and gluing it back on but I figured I'd check here first to see if anyone had a better idea before I go down that path.

Thanks in advance for any help.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my SBC Malibu. I repaired mine with JB Weld. Mixed some up, dropped some in the hole of the shifter handle, pushed it on, then let it set up a couple minutes. I built up enough at the base, or bottom so I could shape it with a Drexel with a sanding drum. Painted it gloss black and it looks great. Wish I had some pics, but the car is in storage.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!