Interior plastic dye/paint source?

hookedup

Daily Driver
Jun 27, 2015
Va.
I have sun faded/aged beige plastic panels in my '79 Malibu classic wagon that need help. I read this entire forum and couldn't find a post that related to a color matching fix, is such a thread or listing available? Sorry I don't have access to the trim code plate at this time.

Thanks

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Trim plate will have the interior code. Im guessing the door panels are Dark Camel. An easy way to check the color is look at the color library on the TCP Global website. They have a great breakdown by year including interior colors. Most cars Ive seen have an accent color for the dash. Not all. Mine does.
If you have a decent body shop supply in your area most likely they will sell SEM Color Coat. You can have the stuff mixed to the exact color you need in most cases. Thats as long as your spraying it with a gun. The place I use custom mixed it for me on multiple occasions to match a piece of interior plastic that I brought them. They usually get it 99.999% matched.
SEM is VERY easy to use in a spray gun. No mixing required. Pour it right into the cup. The prep before you spray is the hardest part. And also the most important. And you must use an adhesion promoter !!! Ive done a few interiors (my own and friends) so if you need any info shoot me a PM. I'll be glad to give you any info I can.

If the email in your profile is current I can send you some photos of stuff Ive sprayed if you want to see how they came out. Lat me know. My next one will be all the pieces for my friends Mopar. He wants everything done in black. Most likely I'll be doing it in Feb or March.

hookedup

Daily Driver
Jun 27, 2015
Va.
Thanks for the info guy's that is what I was looking for on here.

Mike, yes my email is correct and I would like to see how yours turned out. Tips on prepping and the adhesion promoter usage appreciated.

hookedup

Daily Driver
Jun 27, 2015
Va.
Thanks for all the great info! Very impressive write-up Mike.

Why don't you post it on here, I'm sure alot of these guys with 40+ year old cars can use a hand.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
If I had a shop doing this as a profession I would gladly post the info. Since I just mess around helping friends out and doing my own stuff Im a little hesitant about doing that. Theres ALWAYS someone out there with a better way if you know what I mean. Even worse is when someone does it the same way and their stuff comes out like crap. If someone wants the info Im always glad to give it to them.

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
Mike said:
If I had a shop doing this as a profession I would gladly post the info. Since I just mess around helping friends out and doing my own stuff Im a little hesitant about doing that. Theres ALWAYS someone out there with a better way if you know what I mean. Even worse is when someone does it the same way and their stuff comes out like crap. If someone wants the info Im always glad to give it to them.

As Mike noted there's more than one way to achieve results and often people think their way is best. I do interior restoration and custom work frequently and use the SEM products as well as PPG products. Below is a PPG base with matte clear job. Some parts like the lower dash and lower door panels are done in DBI which is really just base coat with an activator while the speaker panels etc that are exposed to UV rays are done as a BC/CC using a matte clear to match the appearance of the DBI. Using the matte clear on all of the panels would increase the cost because I used the PPG Global clear which is kind of expensive.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I tried SEM when I rebuilt the manual trans steering column for Madge. Their "Camel Tan" paint (not the upholstery dye) wasn't even CLOSE to matching the OEM color. I didn't want to keep gambling on spraybombs, so I had it color matched at a friend's body shop. I'm not knocking SEM, I know lot of people use it.

Tommy

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Was the Camel Tan the correct color for the column ? My interior was Medium Jadestone. The dash and column were Dark Jadestone. If you look at TCPs paint library in 1980 there was Dark Camel Tan and under Instrument Clusters (probably dash and column included) it says VERY Dark Camel Tan.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!