dashboard questions.

82zzz

Feb 5, 2013
Flint,Mi
I have a 78 malibu that i'm putting back on the street. The previous owner was building a race car out of it and was gutting every bit of weight out of it he could. The car has a 10 point cage in it and it had a aluminum dash that i hated.
I got a stock dash that was junk to see if i could get it to fit with the crossbar in it. If i move the cross bar down an inch it would fit ,but i don't have a tig welder. Who makes a fiberglass dash for a malibu?

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Other than the race car style, I know of no others that are available. I bought mine more than 18+ years ago from "Just Dashes". I paid $500 :shock: at the time. They nolonger produce the fiberglass version, only padded replacements. As you can see, this is not a cover but a dash replacement. The yellow color is before I started the complete frame off back in 2000.

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Now.....

052.jpg

Steve

82zzz

Feb 5, 2013
Flint,Mi
That looks good. I just can't fit a stock dash with how the cross bar is installed. It's going to be a street/strip car. I just hate a plain metal dash that looks like someone went to home depot and bought furnace ducts.

79longroof

Oct 16, 2014
Have you considered just removing the cross bar? Check with tech, unless your car is faster than (around) 6.5 sec in the 1/8th mile, you only need a 6 point bar.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!