Radio shaft style to DIN

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I currently have the shaft style radio set up in my 83 Malibu. I would like to convert it to the DIN style so I can put in a DIN style radio that I have, and I don't want to cut up the existing face plate and support plate.

83 was the last year for the Malibu, so what year did the Monte switch over to DIN and will the face plate and metal support plate fit the Malibu?

Here is my current set up:

IMG_20150612_182331991_zpskgwxco1l.jpg

IMG_20150612_182457549_zpsujnzbqvr.jpg

Thanks!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Any DIN radio plate you get will probably black with a red or silver stripe and not match the original woodgrain.

Tommy

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Are you putting an OEM radio in or an aftermarket ? I put an Alpine in the faceplate that goes into my 81. It wasn't that much cutting. I don't think the early faceplates are that rare. Buy one and cut it, keep the original as a spare. The sleeve from an aftermarket stereo is just a little taller than the large hole. Took less than a half hour to make it fit. The radio bezel just covers the opening.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Any DIN radio plate you get will probably black with a red or silver stripe and not match the original woodgrain.

The center console is from a Monte and the shifter plate is black with the blue trim and silver strip. The plan is to convert all the woodgrain to that style. OPGI has them now, but at $93, its a bit steep. This is not a show car, a cruise night car, yes.
Are you putting an OEM radio in or an aftermarket ? I put an Alpine in the faceplate that goes into my 81. It wasn't that much cutting. I don't think the early faceplates are that rare. Buy one and cut it, keep the original as a spare. The sleeve from an aftermarket stereo is just a little taller than the large hole. Took less than a half hour to make it fit. The radio bezel just covers the opening.

I'm trying to do the later stock look with an aftermarket radio. I think Crutchfield (and others) make a DIN and a half (?) to DIN adapter. I just want to start with all the newer factory parts (DIN style) and go from there with all the correct mounting. I hate when the radio is only mounted from the front plate and the back (or sides) of the radio is unsupported and the back of the radio bounces around up and down in there.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I have Monte dash pieces that I picked up in a local yard for my 83 wagon. The wagon came with a DIN radio with the built in equalizer. I want to use an extra Alpine that came out of one of my sons old cars. I think the installation kits come with different mounting brackets but I haven't bought one so I might be wrong.
If you find the dash bezels on CL its not hard to clean them up. I used the same SEM paint that I used on my dash for the border and did the black over with Landau black SEM in a rattle can. I used 1/16 silver pin stripe tape and it looks like new.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
I have all the pieces you need for this swap if you still need them.

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
Well i just sold the radio bracket but u still have the 1.5 din radio / hvac bezel in great shape for sale.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!