5" LCD Install

notime2d8

Daily Driver
Aug 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL 35007
Alright, take it easy on me guys..this is my first attempt and it looks a little rough. I also made everything with quick disconnects so i can swap back to my stock setup. This is in my 83 El Camino. I replaced and relocated the indicator lights and added a 5" screen in their place connected to an android stick in my glove box. Everything is hidden and i replaced my cigarette lighter with a 3.5mm headpone jack & USB port that charges and works as a host port. My ALDL cable runs into the glove box and i'm planning on tuning and running some gauges from ALDLdroid. The screen also has connections for HDMI, VGA and a/v. The sound runs either through my radio or with headphones hooked to the 3.5mm jack.

IMG_20140712_003400_zpstyz8hqvm.jpg

20140712_003136_zps9edxw5g0.jpg

IMG_20140712_005809_zpshfrv80ek.jpg

20140714_194057_zpsbhtpna2t.jpg

20140714_194037_zpsnlwe4j0o.jpg

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
ANY PICS OF THIS IN THE LIGHT WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE WHAT (WORKMANSHIP) YOU DID? ALL I REALLY SEE IS A BUNCH OF LIGHTS IN A DARK AREA. FROM WHAT I SEE, IT'S DEFINITELY A COOL IDEA! JUST WANT TO SEE "WHAT" YOU DID..

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
What screen did you end up using?

I was looking at the chalk-elec ones since they have 7, 10, and now 14" I think but they are always out of stock since they are the only capacitive multi touch ones.

I have to look into this ALDL droid you speak of : )

notime2d8

Daily Driver
Aug 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL 35007
mean78malibu said:
What screen did you end up using?

I was looking at the chalk-elec ones since they have 7, 10, and now 14" I think but they are always out of stock since they are the only capacitive multi touch ones.

I have to look into this ALDL droid you speak of : )

This is the screen i went with http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5-0-inch-...136?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c3def2f0

I wish i could find one with a smaller controller and higher resolution. And i didn't get the touchscreen option. I didn't think i needed it and it was only resistive. I use a micro keyboard with a trackpad and directional keys. I'm thinking i should have just used a stripped down cell phone now...

ALDLdroid is the best, i did all of this just for that app. It's getting ready to be updated to where you can change the colors on the gauges. But i can monitor all of my pcm info, datalog, tune, and emulate if you wanted. It's like tunerpro RT for android.

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
Sweet, yea I checked it out and it looked promising if you have datastream files for TunerPro for your application.

My application. OBD1 6.5L Turbo diesel doesn't have all the files that I can find.

Can you explain the setup of ALDLdroid some to get the correct data flowing?

notime2d8

Daily Driver
Aug 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL 35007
mean78malibu said:
Sweet, yea I checked it out and it looked promising if you have datastream files for TunerPro for your application.

My application. OBD1 6.5L Turbo diesel doesn't have all the files that I can find.

Can you explain the setup of ALDLdroid some to get the correct data flowing?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but it's just like tunerpro. You have to add your files (bin, ads, xdf) and then connect to your ECM/PCM through a ALDL connection. It supports a regular USB ALDL cable if your android device supports USB host if not you can connect with a bluetooth ALDL cable. But for you, if you just want to datalog, you would need a correct ADS/ADX file for your PCM. After that you can just drag and drop and move whatever sensor information to your screen.

malibuguy

Top Fueler
Sep 29, 2003
Finksburg, Md
www.cardomain.com
Great idea

One could put a larger one where the center vents are on 78-81 cars

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!