dash or no dash

rowdycwby1

Nov 11, 2013
Hello all I just started on 79 malibu classic build and the dash is junk sun rotted pretty bad. Can I get a replacement dash for it or would I be better off to fabricate one just to hold some gauges? Any help or suggestion would be great.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
I would say depends on intended use of the car. Personally not a fan of fabricated dashes.

VFN makes a fiberglass replica of the existing dash.
They can be restored (pretty spendy)
You could try filling the cracks with a 2 part composite and using spray texture to refresh it (more budget oriented)
Some G body vendors sell a new or rebuilt one (pretty spendy)
Swap to a Pontiac G body dash...better looking and accomodates aftermarket gauges without looking so aftermarket
Swap to another G body dash (Olds or Buick)

woody31

Frequent Racer
i have a nice black dash from a elky..same as your malibu,,mine is a 80,,ill take 75.00 bux plus your shipping,,,has 2 small cracks but very repairable,,let me know,,its going to the shredder soon as i can get it on the trailer...

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
Aluminum panel dash. All dash and components was worth about 40lbs when I removed it. And I still have all streetable functionality.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4,869
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 4,875

JBreu

Frequent Racer
Jan 31, 2010
Livonia. New York
Grcrygtr44 said:
Aluminum panel dash. All dash and components was worth about 40lbs when I removed it. And I still have all streetable functionality.
You should make and sell them, I'd buy one :)

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
Thanks Jbreu. It wasn't really difficult. Just measure twice & cut once. LOL. U get the monte up to empire yet?

79longroof

Oct 16, 2014
I like your approach! My dash has been removed to replace and rewire for gauges and basic operation, but haven't decided on what dash to use. A prefab aluminum seems the easiest choice, but what you are doing is plain cool. Unless you have a donor car located, not many cool dash come available very often.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!