NEED HELP CHANGING STEERING COLUMNS

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
I HAVE A 78 BU WHICH HAS A REGULAR NON-TILT STEERING COLUMN -COLUMN SHIFT AND TURN SIGNAL ONLY...WHILE MY LIGHTS AND WIPER SWITCH, IS ON THE DASH.
I JUST BOUGHT A TILT STEERING COLUMN OFF OF 84 MONTE SS....WITH THE WIPER STITCH, CRUISE CONTROL (WHICH MY CAR DOESN'T HAVE) AND TURN SIGNAL.
QUESTION IS, HOW EASY/HARD IS IT TO MAKE THIS NEWER STYLE COLUMN WORK? SINCE MY CAR HAS BASIC STUFF, IS IT A PITA TO SWITCH TO A NEWER COLUMN......WHILE RETAINING MY LIGHTS AND WIPER FUNCTION ON MY DASH OR IS IT VERY, I MEAN VERY EASY TO CONVERT THOSE SWITCHES TO USING THEM ON THE COLUMN?? I DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO WITH THIS. I KNOW SOMEONE KNOWS THE DEAL! THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
I am doing samething this winter going to tilt on the floor column. Keep it simple the way it is now. easier to change the swithches out when they go bad, also who is going to know if they work other than you???? Whats up?

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
lasttime78 said:
I am doing samething this winter going to tilt on the floor column. Keep it simple the way it is now. easier to change the swithches out when they go bad, also who is going to know if they work other than you???? Whats up?

THEY DON'T HAVE TO WORK ON THE COLUMN. I ACTUALLY PREFER IT TO RUN ON MY EXISTING DASH CONFIGURATION. I JUST WANTED TO KNOW, IS IT A PAIN TO RETAIN WHAT I HAVE ON MY DASH, WITH THE UPGRADED STEERING COLUMN? LOOKS LIKE THERE'S MORE TO PLUG IN ON THE NEWER COLUMN, THAN THE ORIGINAL.

lasttime78

Frequent Racer
Mar 7, 2011
Just outside Rochester, New York
Yup, What did you get to use between the double d-shap and 27 spline shaft on the Malibu? I think its 27 don't remember?

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
lasttime78 said:
Yup, What did you get to use between the double d-shap and 27 spline shaft on the Malibu? I think its 27 don't remember?

THE ONLY REASON I GOT THE STEERING COLUMN, IS TO UPGRADE TO THOSE JEEP/ASTRO SHAFTS. GUESS 78 BU OWNERS, ARE sh*t OUTTA LUCK, IF WANTING TO UPGRADE. RIGHT NOW, IT IS STOCK. I HAVE TO CHECK MY STEERING BOX. MYSELF AND GBOZ, HAVE SPECULATION THAT I MAY HAVE THEMONTE SS STEERING BOX...SINCETHE PREVIOUS OWNER DID THE OTHER UPGRADES. GOTTA CONFIRM THE AMOUNT OF TURNS IN THE MORNING.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Just change the lower half of the column. Then you can keep the proper electrical gear & use the Jeep intermediate shaft...

Tommy

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
LS6 Tommy said:
Just change the lower half of the column. Then you can keep the proper electrical gear & use the Jeep intermediate shaft...

Tommy

THANKS! THAT'S EXACTLY, WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW!! NOW...HOW BIG OF A JOB IS THAT? I'VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE. I MIGHT JUST BRING IT TO MY GUY AND HAVE HIM DO IT.

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Not very hard, but you will need to buy/rent a couple specific pullers (a steering wheel puller and a lock plate remover) to get the job done. I just did this on my BBC Malibu this summer to use one of the jeep shafts. Very worthwhile upgrade. Plan an afternoon to get the job done. I also had the 78 column in my car, and didn't realize it until I had the stuff apart to change the jeep shaft. Surprise! Crap.....

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
malicad said:
Not very hard, but you will need to buy/rent a couple specific pullers (a steering wheel puller and a lock plate remover) to get the job done. I just did this on my BBC Malibu this summer to use one of the jeep shafts. Very worthwhile upgrade. Plan an afternoon to get the job done. I also had the 78 column in my car, and didn't realize it until I had the stuff apart to change the jeep shaft. Surprise! Crap.....

MAN, THAT SUCKS YOU FOUND OUT THAT WAY! BUT YOU GOT IT DONE. THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!! I'M GLAD TO KNOW, WHEN I DO THIS FINALLY, THE UPGRADE, WILL BE WORTH IT!
I ACTUALLY BOUGHT THE COLUMN WITHOUT THE WHEEL -THE COLUMN AND WHEEL IS BLUE. WHILE I LOVED THE WHEEL, GBOZ STRONGLY SUGGESTED FINDING A MONTE SS BLACK WHEEL....RATHER THAN SEM PAINT IT. OTHERWISE, I WOULD'VE TAKEN IT!!
GUESS ILL BE HEADING TO AUTOZONE AND SEE HOW MUCH FOR THE LOCK PLATE PULLER . THANKS!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!