Sun-hardened plastic sheets??

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Kind of a weird question, but I know I saw this on one of the automotive-related TV shows recently. They are thin plastic sheets you can cut, mold, shape into anything you want, then once you have the correct shape, expose it to sunlight, and the plastic hardens permanently in that shape. I really need this for an interior project I'm doing. I could use fiberglass matting and resin, but that stuff is so messy, and it would take me a while to finish it if I did it that way. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I searched forever online but couldn't find squat...

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Thank You!!! That's the stuff. Going to use it as a replacement trim piece for my 4 speed shifter hump. After putting a texture on it and painting it semi-gloss black of course. Thanks again!

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
Kind of semi-custom...I have a reproduction full floorpan in my BB Malibu. I ordered a replacement shifter hump for it (the metal part) and the replacement plastic trim piece. The car's got a M21, so the shifter doesn't exit exactly where the factory manual trans would have. I had to extensively modify the aftermarket metal hump to mate to the aftermarket floorpan (that was fun). I thought I could re-shape the plastic trim piece to fit my modified trans hump with a heat gun. I got it pretty close. After it cooled, I thought I could get it to fit better. Wrecked it. Not gonna try it again. I'll use the Percy's stuff and make a custom piece and texture it. It'll turn out good, I'm pretty confident. Haven't done it yet though...been working on one of my other Malibus.

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
My car had the factory 4 speed and was modified for the M21 also. They basically made the metal opening longer from front to back and made a filler panel. It allowed the use of the factory plastic trim. I took it all out when I went with the T56.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!