Garage door opener in the visor!!!

gthmcty1

Daily Driver
Aug 21, 2006
Inland Empire (SoCal)
Hey guys I thought that I would pass this along I like the new gadgets inside my car I just picked up my 80 malibu but I will share all of my additions! Such as the push to start RFID system, trunk pops, power reserve after vehcle is shut off etc.....

This is a visor that fits into the same holes as the factory visor (also be sure to take the clip that comes with it and has the homelink unit built into the visor!! I don't know about you guys but I hate the lonesome garage door opener sitting on the seat or hanging from the visor, so I went to the junkyard and a vehicle with the built in homelink and the matching passenger side illuminated mirror (not installed yet).
A quick 12v source will suffice as the visor uses the mounting tabs as a ground!

viking165301

Daily Driver
Nov 23, 2013
I just wanted to chime in here and add that the Homelink button system installed in many newer factory vehicle visors and readily available on ebay for about $20 seems to be a fairly easy install. I will be doing this upgrade also here shortly as I hate hitting my head on my garage door remote hanging from my visor. From my research it is just supplying a power and ground to the unit then programming the homelink to your garage door opener.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The pics don't show...

Tommy

notime2d8

Daily Driver
Aug 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL 35007
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i just wanted to add that i swapped in whole Lincoln LS visors into my El Camino that look like this:

5-1.jpg

It looks nice, has the homelink, and has the adjustable vanity mirror lights. I only had to run a power/ground and use longer screws to get it to mount.

Josh Hanna

Daily Driver
Jan 30, 2014
Coral Springs Florida
notime2d8 said:
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i just wanted to add that i swapped in whole Lincoln LS visors into my El Camino that look like this:

5-1.jpg

It looks nice, has the homelink, and has the adjustable vanity mirror lights. I only had to run a power/ground and use longer screws to get it to mount.
Dude that is sweet what year visors did you get them from? I've been looking to do something like that in my el camino????

malibulvr

Pro Stocker
Mar 22, 2008
Pensacola, Fl. 32526
You can also buy an aftermarket kit to install the homelink system either in the headliner or the visor. I think we pay our upfitter about $300 installed at the dealership!

notime2d8

Daily Driver
Aug 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL 35007
Josh Hanna said:
notime2d8 said:

Dude that is sweet what year visors did you get them from? I've been looking to do something like that in my el camino????

@Josh Hanna -They were used and are the same in all years of the lincoln LS. The cool part is that they came in a lot of colors, you can find some that match close. And i just searched for lincoln ls visor and got my pair for $35 off ebay. I do miss my stock chrome mounts though.

I did want an overhead console but i already added a rearview mirror with compass, temp, and auto dimming. I also added a bright LED for my dome light, an overhead console would just give me a spot for my glasses?

Does anyone know of any newer coupes with lighted door & window switches we can swap in? Or even a lighted headlight switch? <-Did i take this thread off topic?

Josh Hanna

Daily Driver
Jan 30, 2014
Coral Springs Florida
notime2d8 said:
Josh Hanna said:
notime2d8 said:

@Josh Hanna -They were used and are the same in all years of the lincoln LS. The cool part is that they came in a lot of colors, you can find some that match close. And i just searched for lincoln ls visor and got my pair for $35 off ebay. I do miss my stock chrome mounts though.

I did want an overhead console but i already added a rearview mirror with compass, temp, and auto dimming. I also added a bright LED for my dome light, an overhead console would just give me a spot for my glasses?

Does anyone know of any newer coupes with lighted door & window switches we can swap in? Or even a lighted headlight switch? <-Did i take this thread off topic?

Thanks i got a set off of ebay. i got a pair in tan for 80 bucks..what year el camino do you have? i just did a power mirror conversion in my 86 :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!