SEM Hi Build Primer

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Was wondering if anyone tried this product on the plastics that may have started to deteriorate due to ultraviolet radiation, such as the rear upper panels below the rear side glass and the "C" post plastics that are unique to the two door Malibu/Lemans A body series?

The plan was to prime with with this so-called high build primer, sand down, reprime and top coat sort of what done with normal exterior paint prepartion.

Anyone out there have any thoughts?

Thanks for any responses.

bigbadbu

Pro Stocker
May 5, 2008
East Hartford
www.facebook.com
I know alot of people use it to take the grain out of plastics I would think there texture coating would work better for what you want.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
I'll look into their texture coating. Thanks. Another SEM paint relate question is that I'm not sure what top coat color to chose. Trying to match the existing beige lower door panels, and SEM has 15173 Camel, Palamino, Light Oak. There's also a Ford Praire Tan.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i'm not sure where your buying your sem products but any auto body supply store will have sem color coat chip books for you to look @. if you think you like one color,buy a can and spray something to see if it's what you want that color.that way you don't do all the work and realize you don't care for the color after all.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I took a piece of my trim that wasnt faded to the body shop supply and they custom mixed the color. Youre in NJ. Is there an Albert Kemperle near your town ? I know theyre all over Long Island.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I just checked their homepage. Theres 4 of them in NJ. Let them mix the color you need. Ive bought 2 qts of 2 different colors and they did a 100% match on both. Just remember with SEM paint/dye prep, prep, prep, and more prep to make it last.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Never heard of Albert Kemperle, thanks, there's one by me in Linden. There's 10 different beige shades to chose from, and with that selection, you'll think that one of them would come in close.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Are you using rattle cans or are you spraying it with a gun ? I sprayed my parts with a cheap HVLP gun and its real easy. It goes on easy and dries fast. No mixing. Straight out of the can. Just remember that you have to use an adhesion promoter first.

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Yeah, was going to just use the rattle cans. Perhaps I'll just use rattle cans for the dash cap and spray the rest of the plastics. it's an idea, thanks for the input.

Have a small touch-up gun, but it's the old technology. Suppose, I'll now need a HVLP gun?

Also doing the headliner, the winshield is coming out because of leak, so at the same time along with the headliner, the dash cap is going on.

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
If you plan on using a gun to spray the rest of the plastic why wouldnt you use it for the dash too ? Spray everything the same way. This was the colors are right. Im assuming youre going to do the dash in a darker color ?
As far as an HVLP gun, I also have an old style detail gun but I think the dye sprays out nicer with the HVLP. You could probably get a Harbor Freight gun cheap and use that but Im not sure of the tip size on those. I sprayed that stuff like a fine mist and multiple coats. Just before I put the carpet on the bottom of my door panel I took a piece of masking tape and stuck it on where the carpet goes and ripped it off. No color came with it so I think I did the right job.

FYI, my detail gun is just a Starting Line gun. Not an expensive gun at all. Its got a 1.0 tip. Harbor Freight had a detail gun with a .08 tip for under $35 and another set of 2 guns (the detail has a 1.0 tip) for under $50.
Im so pleased with the way the plastic looks in my coupe Im probably going to respray all the plastic in my wagon over the winter. It dries so fast its a weekend project.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!