Dash Cluster Help!

TheGreenBean

Weekend Racer
Apr 28, 2012
Kendallville, In
I have a 78 malibu that I am putting autometer gauges in. They are 3 3/8 and 2 1/16 gauges. I just bought a 6 hole cluster from Mikes Monte and it absolutely sucks! I would like to see what everyone else has done and maybe some pics of how you installed it. Thanks.

DonM

Dragway Regular
May 29, 2003
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Not sure if you can return what you purchased and use the money towards something else but this is what I have. The gauge pod I bought from Summit Racing and it is made by Classic Dash. Google Classic Dash and you can find their website. I am really happy with it and love the looks of it. I used Auto Meter Sport Comp gauges. I have since added the LED turn signal lights from Painless Wiring along with their Auto Meter dash harness. Was truly "Painless" to wire but the price is a little high. I probably have $1000 into the whole setup.
DonM

DonM

Dragway Regular
May 29, 2003
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Forgot to mention the headlight and wiper switch mount to the back side. I do not have them installed in this photo.

What did you not like about the one you got from Mikes?

DonM

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
DonM said:
Not sure if you can return what you purchased and use the money towards something else but this is what I have. The gauge pod I bought from Summit Racing and it is made by Classic Dash. Google Classic Dash and you can find their website. I am really happy with it and love the looks of it. I used Auto Meter Sport Comp gauges. I have since added the LED turn signal lights from Painless Wiring along with their Auto Meter dash harness. Was truly "Painless" to wire but the price is a little high. I probably have $1000 into the whole setup.
DonM

I see kitty helps you with your projects. One of my fuzz bags, Finster, always wants to be in the garage with me. He's not allowed outside...

Tommy

TheGreenBean

Weekend Racer
Apr 28, 2012
Kendallville, In
I have returned the shadow box and am waiting on my card to be credited. For one it did not fit my malibu dash and second the workmanship of the piece was not up to par for me especially paying $100 bucks for it. The two center gauge holes were not aligned with each other. I guess I will have to scratch build my own from some sheet metal. I want it to fit into my stock faceplate without making it look to bad. I will have to put two gauges down where the defrost switch would normally be. I purchased a faceplate without the defrost option. I have seen alot of pics after the dash is done but not really on how it was installed. I guess that is what I am asking for.

I have seen your trim piece before but I just cant bring myself to pay that kind of money I guess. The rest of my dash is trashed from the sun. I am like most people I dont have a gazziln dollars to work with.

Thanks for the pics!

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
i cant remember who.. but someone on here is a tin smith... and makes guage pannels... iirc he is out of michigan?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i think your referring to art,his screen name is blownbigblock.he makes them.I've got one but I've never used it.

malibu795

Pro Stocker
Apr 17, 2005
spgfd ohio
melloelky said:
i think your referring to art,his screen name is blownbigblock.he makes them.I've got one but I've never used it.
yes i am

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!