Bucket Seat Backs

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
Does anyone repop the backs for the high back buckets? mine are in rough shape . Not broke but really flaking bad. I know you can cover them with a tweed but I really hate the look. Any other ideas what to do with them? I was thinking maybe covering with vinyl but not sure how that would look either. any input would be helpful.

O. D. Showtime

Top Fueler
Nov 23, 2003
Regina SK Canada
Hi John

I'm not aware of anyone reproducing the seat backs at this time. I've heard of guys sanding down the flaking and repainting. You could use a roller to get some grain/texture back.

I have a nice pair of dark blue backs I found for a set of tan seats that the backs are pretty trashy..flaking and some one scratched words into them :x

I recently found another set of tan buckets but didn't really check the backs. If they are nice and the wrecker would seperate maybe I can pick them up.

Kevin

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
Next time you're there see how they are and let me know.

87SS-ZZ3

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2004
Pantego, NC
I had a Chevelle years ago and I covered all the old panels in vinyl after sanding the flaking off. Looked good to me since it had the grain I was looking for. 3M spray adhesive works great. Wrap all the was around to the back side for a seamless look. I did the seat backs too.

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
Well here's what I have done for now till I find a good set of good backs. I sanded the backs down and sprayed a texture paint on them them sprayed them with Mar-Hyde plastic paint.

Before

Seatbackbefore_zpsb3cf5da9.jpg

Sanded

seatbacksanded_zpsf531aaf9.jpg

Done

seatbackfinished_zps61916d77.jpg

O. D. Showtime

Top Fueler
Nov 23, 2003
Regina SK Canada
Looks like it turned out pretty well John!

I can't seem to get to that wrecker that has the car with buckets. The close shortly after I get off work during the week and are not open weekends :roll:

I'm going to have to either take a day or off or try and get out of work early to see what's up with it.

79Landau

Frequent Racer
Aug 28, 2005
Delhi Ontario,Canada
Thanx ....They look not bad till I get other ones.

Don't worry about it. You don't have to lose time at work for it. I have a buddy going down south next week and he's going to look for me.

O. D. Showtime

Top Fueler
Nov 23, 2003
Regina SK Canada
Spikejl31 said:
Do anyone know where or whom I can get a set of these backs that can be restored?

I have access to a pair from an 80 El Camino. The camino ones had no ash tray in the seat back. Not sure what shipping would be like from here though.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!