Manual transmission tilt steering column questions

clean8485

Weekend Racer
Jan 30, 2011
I'm trying to either find a tilt steering column to fit an '81 Malibu with a manual transmission, or get one custom built. I've done some research, and I understand that there are some differences in automatic trans columns for GM A/G bodies from '78-'88. I also understand that a correct original tilt manual column is an extremely rare item. I've spoken to several people about what it would take to custom build one. I have a non-tilt manual trans column to use for a custom build. One person that I've spoken to has said that I can use the lower part of the non-tilt column, along with the upper part of a tilt column from a mid '80s Camaro/Firebird with a manual transmission, and the tilt bowl shroud/cover from a mid '80s Corvette with a manual transmission to complete it. Another person says a steering column from either a late '70s Nova or Vega/Monza will interchange. What I'm looking to have when I'm finished, is a tilt manual transmission column, with the correct key release lever, and still have the wiper controls on the dash, that will bolt into the car. Any ideas and/or suggestions on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
Bueller..........Bueller?

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
The 1978-81 manual shift/tilt columns are out there.....I have one in my Malibu. I've personally seen 3 others. Would be cheaper to build yourself one.......I'd guess.
Mine was bought (rebuilt) at least 10+ years ago.
I'm sure someone will jump in with some help/advice.

O. D. Showtime

Top Fueler
Nov 23, 2003
Regina SK Canada
Here's a link I found

when the link opens look on the left side..there's a heading called steering column

I believe this to be the member t5montecarlo (Marc) site. Hope you don't mind me posting this link Marc.

Hope this gives you some help.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Bueller here...

No worries, Kevin.

It takes a few donor columns to build the correct 1978-1981 manual transmission tilt column. The already-correct column can be found used, but not often.

If you don't already have a 1978-1981 A body automatic tilt column, you can use the lock housing from a tilt column from a 1977-1981 B body or 1978-1986 T body. The X body lock housing is different.

Marc

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
t5montecarlo said:
Bueller here...
.............................................................................................

Marc

LOL...............made my sip of coffee come out of my nose!!!!

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
You need to grab yourself 80's S10 manual transmission column, and see if you can sway the firewall plate. In my estimation, that should be the easiest way to what your looking for.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!