Idiot Lights to Real Gauges

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
I am looking at a 1988 Monte Carlo that has a round speedo and idiot lights for the rest. What is involved with swapping the cluster to one with real gauges and a tach? I know I have read it here before but cant find it again. Please help me in this. The car has a 200 4r in it and I plan to swap the 4.3 for a 350 and make a cruiser out of it. But I still want gauges to keep tabs on vitals while on the road. Thanks, Michael

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
Yeah I read this. The car already has a round gauge cluster with dummies and a clock on the right. What I am looking for is to swap int he same style round gauges with actually gauges in the center four and a tach on the right side. I remember reading something about a difference in the printed circuits and forgot whereon here I saw it. Someone much know where to find this or have the answer.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
That's why you would have to rewire the cluster connector. If you have the long gage cluster,then yeah the pod is different. If you have the one with the clock and idiot lights the pod is the same. You still need to rewire the connector and get the right sending units for the gages to work.

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
Ok time for a revisit. I picked up a complete cluster and pod housing from a 86 or 87 SS. This is the gauges set up, tach and 115 mph speedo with trip meter. I believe this is the most desireable set up of them all. My question what is the process to bolt this in to a 88 LS with 4.3 and a V6? I understand the tach may not work due to the pulses and I can live with that till the V8 swap is done but what does it take to get the rest of the gauges working? I remember needing a sending unit for the oil pressre. What about the volts and water temp? Is there any wiring to change on the cars end? Can I drop the cluster into my existing pod? Thanks or the help!

Going from this:

DSC08327_zpsa34168be.jpg

DSC08326_zps6e567747.jpg

To using these:

DSC08330_zps41f2e318.jpg

All the parts I picked up

DSC08331_zps4d48cf09.jpg

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
Whose leg do you have to hump here to get a answer to a tech question?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You need to change the housing that holds the gauges. You can reuse the rest of what you already have.

When you remove that housing, you will see the harness connector at the lower right. It is this connector that needs to be repinned according to the link provided by 80malibucoup.

While you have the housing out of the car, clean the harness contacts with a pencil eraser to ensure good contact. Also, while you are repinning the connector, also clean the contacts at the connector.

Additionally, to allow the alternator to work properly, you will need to either replace the wire to the light with the resistance wire that is used with gauges, or keep it connected to one of the bulbs at the right of the pod (what I did). I made this swap in my wagon about 16 years ago, so I don't remember all of the finer details anymore.

Firetruck1

Dragway Regular
Jan 3, 2013
Ocala Florida
Ok I have the wiring diagram. How are the wires held into the connector? Also, do you have anything more specific about the alternator? Is this a good time to convert to a one wire alternator if I can avoid having to rewire the alternator gauge? What do you mean about connecting it to a light on the pod and where do I place the resistance wire, from what to what or where?

Thanks for the input guys.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!