headlight switch knob

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i've got a late(er)model dash and the hole where the headlight switch knob comes through is smaller then the early one.the knob i have is older and bigger than the hole in the late model.can someone tell me if there was a smaller version for the newer dashes?i was going to snap it in but i realized if i did that i wouldn't be able remove the faceplate down the road.the one i have is an 1-1/8" wide..thanks for the help.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The knob and shaft are removable from the switch. Pull the knob all the way out, reach under the dash and depress the raised button, pull on knob while releasing the button.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
t5montecarlo said:
The knob and shaft are removable from the switch. Pull the knob all the way out, reach under the dash and depress the raised button, pull on knob while releasing the button.

Ya beat me to it t5!

Tommy

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
ha i knew how to get it out but once i snapped that larger, older style knob into that later style dash where the hole is to small there would be no way i could remove that dash face to even depress that little button on the switch to remove it.unless i wanted to cut the shaft with a set of cutters.i stopped before it was to late.i saw how small that hole was and recalled the older set up i had i was able to remove that dash face with the knob still there.not the case with the newer dash face and the older headlight knob.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
t5montecarlo said:
You're supposed to have small hands and reach behind the dash when using the older face.
i am? #-o

jsiler

Dragway Regular
Nov 6, 2009
Dayton, OH
Yes,the newer style dash will require you to use a different style knob.And if im not mistaken the bracket that holds the switch in is different also.The bracket that screws to the instrument cluster pod and holds the switch in place will not let the knob come out in the same location on the newer style faceplate even if you were to switch the knob and shaft.Your best bet if you can find it is to replace the bracket and switch.The newer style bracket will screw into the old bezel pod the same way and the plug is the same.Im not 100% sure about that but thats how I remember it.I changed mine over from the sweep style to the 86 and newer and I know they are different.This is the type you need.

DSC07469.jpg

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
hmm i'm actually running an aftermarket gauge shadow box from custom Monte ss parts.it has a headlight switch mounting bracket built into it.it doesn't have a separate mount like the oe does. it doesn't seem like alignment is an issue i can see the switch nut right through the hole.i think i might be ok.thanks for all the help guys,that's why i love this place everyone's so help full. :D.i never even thought about the switch mount bracket!thanks again guys!

jsiler

Dragway Regular
Nov 6, 2009
Dayton, OH
If you can see the switch nut im sure it will be ok,it could be just the way I remember it.Its been a long time ago.The last time I changed one besides my sweep style that I have now was at least 15 years ago.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!