WHATS THE CORRECT REMOVAL OF FRONT HEADLINDER & PACKAGE TRAY

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT
As the title states, I REALLY would like to know, what is the "correct" way, to gets these things off...WITHOUT BENDING THEM!! These things are a real pita to remove! Anyone on here, know the way? Thanks!!

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Re: WHATS THE CORRECT REMOVAL OF FRONT HEADLINDER & PACKAGE

I just removed and installed the headliner in my 79 Malibu. The rear upper headliner trim in my 79 has a factory screw at each end. I removed all the side trim, dome light, Sun visors, A and B pillar trim and the panels above the quarter windows. I pulled the front upper trim down a little so I didnt break the clips holding the trim in place. I unscrewed the two rear trim screws and pulled down the rear trim. I pulled the headliner out from the front trim and laid the headliner on the dash and the front seats. With the windows rolled down I reclined the front bucket seats and slid the headliner out the drivers window. This was my third time removing and installing a headliner in a Malibu. To remove the package tray you will need to remove the rear lower windshield trim and the two corner pice. I dont now how to remove the rear trim with out braking the clips.

Doug

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT

THANKS DOUG! I WROTE THIS, WHEN I WAS SLEEPING -LONG NIGHT WATCHING THE ELECTION!! I MEANT TO SAY, WHAT WAS THE CORRECT WAY, TO REMOVE THOSE STUPID TRIM PCS (FRONT HEADLINER TRIM AND REAR PACKAGE TRAY TRIM PC), YOU WERE REFERRING TO! MY BUDDY TOOK IT OFF...BUT BROKE THE TABS AND BENT IT! FELT LIKE PUNCHING (BECAUSE HE DIDNT LISTEN, WHEN I SAID STOP) HIM!! LUCKILY, I HAVE FEW OF THEM!
THE FRONT PC IS OUT. THE REAR PC IS IN. HOWEVER, I STARTED TO BEND THAT PC. PITA!!!

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com

When I replaced my headliner, I pulled down just enough to see how the clip was held in place. Then I used a very small flat screw driver to press on the piece of clip that needed to be depressed to release the clip. If you are careful, you won't break the clips or bend the metal trim.

On my wagon, I found it impossible to remove the trim above the rear side windows without breaking the clips. I was able to buy new ones from GM (in 1998).

shvrolay

Dragway Regular

The clips were designed to break!

The rear lower trim clips are not reproduced, so..................

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl

yup, the clips are meant to break. Pry carefully :mrgreen:

HOLY TERROR-BU

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2010
WATERBURY, CT

THANKS GUYS! REALLY HELPED!

shoedoos

Amateur Racer
Jan 10, 2008

Hehehehe.....I just went through clip hell over this last weekend.....what was GM thinking when they designed these?.....and why so many just to hold a piece of foam board up on the ceiling....?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!