78 malibu steering column?

ojpearce05

Daily Driver
Nov 9, 2009
Gulfport, Ms.
I have a 78 Malibu that needs attention to the steering column. Well I had something jam up the ignition switch the other night. So I took it apart and didn't find anything. But I noticed the blinker cancellation switch had price of plastic broke off, and now only the left blinker will work if I hold the level down and right doesn't work at all. Also I guess some of them balls in the bearing fell out and the steering wheel has all kind of slack, up down, side to side. Just wondering what all other cars can I look for that the column will bolt right up? Or are the parts still avalible to rebuild mine? Thanks for any help. Oh yea, kinda in a hurry,crusing the coast is going on right how down here. Thanks for any help

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The 1978 column is unique as it has a different shaft; it is splined at the base instead of double-D shaped. If you use a later column, you will need to change the intermediate shaft.

You can use any 1978-1981 column directly (with the associated intermediate shaft). A 1982-1988 column will also fit, you just won't be using the wiper switch in the column.

The turn signal switch assembly is the same for many models for many years.

The bearings are also the same for many models for many years.

The column will be loose/sloppy as long as you have removed the locking plate; the spring beneath the locking plate applies pressure on the bearings. If the looseness goes away when you reinstall the locking plate, the bearings are OK.

ojpearce05

Daily Driver
Nov 9, 2009
Gulfport, Ms.
Thanks. I just happen to find a good complete column at the local junk yard yesterday. Was able to get into the cars they haven't put put yet. Thanks again

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
I swapped my 78 column with a 79 and had to replace the intermediate shaft as well as the steering box...if things don't want to bolt right up be aware this might be a problem.
Jess

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!