sanding plastic panels???

yogi492

Daily Driver
Sep 12, 2012
Michigan
Winter project! Going to redye panels to black been looking at posts and some people sand them before painting but don't put what grit sandpaper to use on them that would help please! Mine seam like thay had some sort of fake swade on them and looks like sh*t with alot wore off just on the lower door and lower rear 1/4 plastic???

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Use a red 3M scuff pad to prep for paint. If you are trying to remove glue, I would try a solvent like 3M adhesive remover or a general wax/grease remover. If that doesn't work lightly sand with 320-400 grit, being careful not to ruin the texture of the plastic. You want to use an interior paint designed for plastic, not dye. For the dash, the paint should be a flexible variety, or have flex additive added. be sure to use a plastic adhesion promoter (can be found in a spray can) before you apply the paint.

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
tiedyemike8 said:
Use a red 3M scuff pad to prep for paint. If you are trying to remove glue, I would try a solvent like 3M adhesive remover or a general wax/grease remover. If that doesn't work lightly sand with 320-400 grit, being careful not to ruin the texture of the plastic. You want to use an interior paint designed for plastic, not dye. For the dash, the paint should be a flexible variety, or have flex additive added. be sure to use a plastic adhesion promoter (can be found in a spray can) before you apply the paint.

320-400 grit paper is too much, 600 max.

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
yogi492 said:
Winter project! Going to redye panels to black been looking at posts and some people sand them before painting but don't put what grit sandpaper to use on them that would help please! Mine seam like thay had some sort of fake swade on them and looks like #### with alot wore off just on the lower door and lower rear 1/4 plastic???

The best way to get the glue off is with some wax and grease remover and a red or grey scuff pad. Cover the panel with some old rags, pour the wax and grease remover over the rags and let it sit (20-30mins). Use the rags to wipe the loose stuff off, then use the scuff pad for the rest. That is the best way I have found to remove old glue, in the 30yrs I have been doing upholstery.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!