Dying Vinyl seats

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
I'm in a mad dash to finish up my car, as I have a baby girl due in about 6 weeks, and I'm taking her home in my Malibu. Anyways due to limited funds & time I cannot fininsh everything that I want to in the interior. I'm only short recovering the seats and new upper door panels. I can get some seat covers for the front buckets, but I'd like to dye the rear seat just in the meantime till I get around to having them re-done.
I've been looking at the Duplicolor paint for cloth & vinyl and it seem's that people are getting nice results from it. I used SEM for all my interior, but the Duplicolor is 50-60% less in cost. Has anyone here done this? does it hold up or is it a waste of time & money?

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I've used both, I like the SEM much better though. Seems to cover more evenly. 1 can of SEM is only about $12-$15 isn't it?

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
81classic said:
I'm in a mad dash to finish up my car, as I have a baby girl due in about 6 weeks, and I'm taking her home in my Malibu. Anyways due to limited funds & time I cannot fininsh everything that I want to in the interior. I'm only short recovering the seats and new upper door panels. I can get some seat covers for the front buckets, but I'd like to dye the rear seat just in the meantime till I get around to having them re-done.
I've been looking at the Duplicolor paint for cloth & vinyl and it seem's that people are getting nice results from it. I used SEM for all my interior, but the Duplicolor is 50-60% less in cost. Has anyone here done this? does it hold up or is it a waste of time & money?

Don't waste your time or money on Dupicolor paint, it is a joke. SEM's color coat is what you have used on the rest of the interior, why do the back seat and have it not match.

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
well I tested the paint on my qtr window soft panels, even threw some "chrome" paint on the little chrome plastic trim. Works fine so far, I think I'll end up doing the seat now.

This is just temporary till I get the funds to re-cover the seats, thats why I'm looking for cheap..

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts