really shitty weatherstriping

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Okay so this has me really pissed off, i got roof rail weatherstripping from dixie monte carlo, bought reproduction because im not spending 500 just for some pieces of rubber, and now when the window is up all the way i have a half inch gap at the back top of the window, that runs about 6 inches to the front. Has anyone has had this problem and tell me how to fix it or else there gonna have a hell of a time on the phone with me, theres is no way its even close. and that is a really shitty production of weatherstripping. :evil:

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
Re: really #### weatherstriping

I put the Metro Supersoft Seals in my car last summer. I did uppers and lowers at the same time on the DS and just uppers on the PS. No way around it, the job of getting the windows up and down was a PIA until the seals were broke in.
What was happening with mine was that the seals were sticky and grabbing the glass. If the door were closed there was no way the window was going up without ripping the new seals. The only way to raise or lower the window glass was to open the doors ( drive thru was fun LOL ) I ended up leaving the upper door panels off the car for weeks and adjusted the door glass multiple times until I was happy with the seal. Now I can drive thru the touchless car was with almost no water getting in the car ( I could never ever do this with any gbody before without getting completely soaked )
To get rid of the stickyness I ended up washing the seals on mine over and over again with some dish soap and water then powerdering down the seals with sawdust ( someone else recommended talcum/baby powder ).

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011

so i have to adjust the windows, i think tis really dumb that things have to be adjusted they should have made them better, the door weatherstripping was easy it seems like the b pillar with the chrome is too hard for the window to set against it hold sthe window out, and the window doesn't go up high enough in the back. theres about a 1/2 inch gap, and even if it did, i don't even know if it would seal and where that seals against the door weatherstrip theres a small gap. this is all just a PITA, i have a schedule to have this car done, and now i gotta work around this.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois

Even if you put gm weatherstripping on, the door and window would still need to be adjusted. I used the softseal products when I did mine and they took some work.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011

alright well its good to know that it can be done, now can anyone give me guidance to do this, everything is a first for me, trying to learn it all.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011

Thanks, thats really gonna help. Good link.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )

it's a C&P from the mcss site. What else if found helpful was a shot of spraypaint over each of the bolts. This way once I started adjusting the window I can tell how far it moved with each setting from orig spots ( it makes it easier to go back to what used to work when you screw up your setting LOL ).

The absolute hardest setting I found setting was the angle of the glass towards the seals/car. Too much and the windows wont go up and seal to the body with the doors closed, not enough and they rattle and leak at highway speeds. Mine still isnt perfect as they windows rattle like hell when partways up/down.

Good luck and be patient.

Are your seals sticky like mine were ?

fastheavychevy

Amateur Racer
Nov 30, 2009

79BuOwner said:
Okay so this has me really ###### off, i got roof rail weatherstripping from dixie monte carlo, bought reproduction because im not spending 500 just for some pieces of rubber, and now when the window is up all the way i have a half inch gap at the back top of the window, that runs about 6 inches to the front. Has anyone has had this problem and tell me how to fix it or else there gonna have a #### of a time on the phone with me, theres is no way its even close. and that is a really #### production of weatherstripping. :evil:
Maybe you stretched the rubber to much and now its not as thick. I bought a set a few years back they came in a soft seal brand. It took a little work but it wasnt to bad and they fit ok. I did the lower door seals also now those were a pain and the door wouldnt shut I had to close it hard until the seals broke in. I did make a mistake on one window by stretching it to much and it left a small gap. The windows still werent air tight though.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011

well we barely stretched it, it fit pretty nice, although it is possible that maybe just a little might have done it, another thing with the soft seal has anyone noticed that the bottom corner closest to the quarter panel, has really thin rubber at the bottom of the window, that if someone would wanna push a coat hanger through they could easily unlock the door? i can push it back and get a finger in. Are my weatherstrippings faulty or is all of them like that? if so i really think they should reconsider how they are made, cause it just doesnt seem right at all.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!