Diy Headliner Help?

stomis

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2010
Jackson, NJ
Theres a catch though... My cutlass came with a dealer installed ASC Moonroof/sunroof. Anyone whose ever had the headliner out knows theres no friggin board used in this setup. Its pretty much just material with strips of gatorfoam on the sides, back, and front and the material is just pulled tight to the sunroof trim. Its really half assed.

After some research on the weight of this damn sun roof (found out its like 100+ lbs with the tray), the headliner crap, and the fact that new seals for the roof will get me half way to an aftermarket lightweight manual pop-up/removable roof I'm going to ditch this thing.

I know that a headliner with a full board isnt rocket science. Some material, spray glue, and a clean surface. My issue is what the hell do I make my self a board out of?

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I remember seeing in the JC Whitney catalog that they sell a headliner for the 1978-1988 cars that uses rods and material like the earlier cars do. That may be an option.

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Could you get a factory headliner board and cut a hole out of it? I have never worked with a sunroof, so I have no idea if that would work for you, just a thougt.

stomis

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2010
Jackson, NJ
tiedyemike8 said:
Could you get a factory headliner board and cut a hole out of it? I have never worked with a sunroof, so I have no idea if that would work for you, just a thougt.

My basic plan was to do this but make the board myself. Problem with getting a factory one is they are crappy and deteriorate. If I go aftermarket I'm not spending $250 on an abs backed one just to cut a hole in it and possibly crack and ruin it...

I'll look into the rod style one...

stomis

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2010
Jackson, NJ
What about some thick cardboard material? I mean between the sunroof trim, the sides, front, back, AND the map light its pretty damn supported no?

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
stomis said:
tiedyemike8 said:

My basic plan was to do this but make the board myself. Problem with getting a factory one is they are crappy and deteriorate. If I go aftermarket I'm not spending $250 on an abs backed one just to cut a hole in it and possibly crack and ruin it...

I'll look into the rod style one...

I don't think it'll crack......this stuff (ABS) is pretty tuff - h3ll, the new headliner is shipped rolled up into a tube.

Just be advised.........my headliner was a PUI piece, and the fit was crappy. Looked like a drunken sailor (no offense intended) had trimmed the board before the material was glued onto it. I had that piece in and out of the car 3 or 4 times - ended up that the HL board was 1 inch too long!!
PUI was no help either. They stopped replying to my emails after I sent them pictures proving it was their product that was at fault.

No manufacturer bashing here.............just the facts/a heads-up.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
I did.........had to trim 1" off the rear edge.

stomis

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2010
Jackson, NJ
Yeah but I'm also not really to fond of the idea of spending $200 on an abs headliner... I guess its time to go material hunting to make the board out of.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
I ordered mine from Mike's Montes...........$129 + shipping.
I'm not endorsing anyone.......just relaying information.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!