SEM texture coating and panel rehab

twfurst

Daily Driver
Apr 12, 2011
Norwich, CT
So, I am leaning towards rehabbing my interior panels using SEM texture coating and color coat. Being 34 years old, the sun took its toll on the plastic, can scrape the surfaces off most every one of them. I want to hear from anyone who has gone this route, and if it's worth doing, or if the results are not what I am thinking. I am also thinking about repairing my cracked dash and then coating that with the texture coat too, vs. buying a dash cap. Has anyone done this, and if so how did it come out? After pricing out all new plastic, dashcap, carpet, etc., hoping to go this route and end up with a good looking interior without spending a fortune.

Thanks

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
I used the SEM texture coating on my rear panels as well. When it sprayed correct, they looked good but I couldnt get an even texture across the entire panel. I ened up just sanding them down and sprayed with color.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
My experience with the SEM was much like 81's was. Originally sand blasted all my panels lightly to remove all the oxidation. Ended up with a nice sound surface except for the removal of the very deep scratches.

Adhesion promoter and dye application resulted in pretty good looking panels. Reblasted a few panels this spring due to a few new scratches while installing new belts. Found out that dirty sand is not ideal as one can imagine. Tried the SEM texture before spraying dye. Turned out okay but the seperation line between the original texture and the SEM texture was still very much visable. It was similiar but not pronounced enough and wasn't real sure how heavy to apply it. I'd have to say 3 cans would be plenty for all the inside plastic. I only had bought one.

Had some rocker panel texture spray left over from a Ford Probe repair but could never get the can to spray decent. Would have been interesting to see how that would have looked.

Hope that helps,
Steve

JuniorJ

Frequent Racer
The texture coats need to be very light coats, and built up to get the right look. It is just like their top coat, multiple light coats.
Use a gray scotch brite pad and lightly knock off the chalkiness, and use a mild mix of DAWN dish soap and warm water to clean the panel. I always clean them twice before applying anything.

oldschool

Frequent Racer
Nov 13, 2003
concord, NC
twfurst said:
So, I am leaning towards rehabbing my interior panels using SEM texture coating and color coat. Being 34 years old, the sun took its toll on the plastic, can scrape the surfaces off most every one of them. I want to hear from anyone who has gone this route, and if it's worth doing, or if the results are not what I am thinking. I am also thinking about repairing my cracked dash and then coating that with the texture coat too, vs. buying a dash cap. Has anyone done this, and if so how did it come out? After pricing out all new plastic, dashcap, carpet, etc., hoping to go this route and end up with a good looking interior without spending a fortune.

Thanks

My opinion on the dash is you will be happier if you get a cap instead of repairing... It's only $100 and some change and easy to do....

The texture coat works but don't expect it to look like the factory texture... Like said light coats and hold it away from the panel about 15" or so

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts