5.0 TPI and 700R4 Swap help

kidclassic

Weekend Racer
Dec 9, 2009
I have wrecked 86 IROC Camaro with a 5.0 TPI Crate motor that had 40k on it. Car had been sitting for a couple years before i bought it. I plan to put both the motor and trans into my 83 Malibu Wagon.

Motor is in the machine shop as we speak getting new soft plugs, rings, etc

My question is what all do i need from that camaro to make this work in my car.
(or would i been better off buying a new harness, wiring, etc.)

And dont say buy a carb motor, or LSX, or whatever else

I just want to get my hot rod running with that motor/trans

And by the way this car is not going to be 750 HP Beast :(
Im 16 and this will be my daily driver

Your help is much appreciated
Thanks

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
Basically, you will need the entire wiring engine wiring harness out of the camaro. You will also need a fuel injection fuel tank out of a newer g-body that had fuel injection (87+?). The tank would come in anything with a 4.3L v6 fuel injected motor and maybe others. Other than that, you will need ot modify or replace the existing fuel lines. Not sure about all the emissions stuff, I got rid of all of that.

I think that's enough to get you started, let me know if you have any other questions.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Not sure if the TPI setup has some type of security, such as VATS. I'm not much on TPI swaps, but most everything that I did as far as fuel system changes for my LSx swap would apply to the TPI swap. Check out the Father/Son swap section for information regarding the fuel system.

I'm sure there is a ton of info out there on TPI swaps, do a google search. Otherwise, maybe someone on here that has actually done it can help.

superbean

Daily Driver
Jul 11, 2010
Franklin, NC
vats did not come out until 88 iroc irc. You can always try running an inline fuel injection pump but please remember to swap to high pressure lines. carb ones might hold up a for a little while but nothing is worse than working with gas more than you have to. It should be a direct bolt in the wagon was a factory v8 car

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
Its a very easy swap, there is actually a book you can buy online that has all the info you need

81malibu350

Weekend Racer
Apr 29, 2005
Lindenhurst N.Y.
http://chevythunder.com/

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
No wagons had EFI that I know of. Get ahold of liquidh8 on here, he's doing a major buildup on a wagon using EFI and an in-tank pump, he could probably get you going in the right direction. Also, I believe that trans has an electronic speedo hookup, so you may have to swap the reluctor ring for a driven gear.

liquidh8's build:
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=73510

Davejs

Dec 2, 2011
Pull the tank from the camaro or cut a hole in the back of the car to remove the pump from the top. If you can canibalize the pump and sending unit or mod into your tank that can work.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!