Running AC pump with lines disconnected?

Cutlass3800

Amateur Racer
May 4, 2009
Medicine Hat, Alberta
I put this in the EFI forum since the info might help others running a serpentine belt like the LS1's have.

I'm collecting parts to build an engine run test stand, but I started thinking about the accessories like the AC and power steering pump. I don't want to mess around with trying to delete these and then re-routing a shorter belt.

I was told the power steering pump won't be a problem - just clamp a piece of heater hose between the inlet and outlet. There won't be anything blocking the flow so it will just circulate and not build up any pressure. Not too sure if power steering fluid will dissolve heater hose though. :-k

Not so simple is the AC since it has special fittings and lines. Getting a custom loop-back AC line built would probably be prohibitively expensive. Can I run the compressor with the lines disconnected? I'd be running it "dry" then and I'm worried about ruining the compressor - does the refrigerant also lube the compressor? If I run it with the lines disconnected, what are my chances of sucking in dirt/bugs and ruining the compressor?

Thanks for any advice!

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
If you have a hydraulic shop nearby Id check and see what they could do. Might be as cheap as $20

Cutlass3800

Amateur Racer
May 4, 2009
Medicine Hat, Alberta
83LSWagon said:
If you have a hydraulic shop nearby Id check and see what they could do. Might be as cheap as $20
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll take the AC pump down and see what they say. If I get one made up, do you think I should pour some compressor oil in the pump and then attach the loopback? My plan is to use this AC pump soley on the stand, but I don't want it seizing up.

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Shouldnt it be okay because you dont have the a/c clutch engaged...........free spinning right?

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
As long as the clutch is dissengaged(no voltage to engage it) you won't have any issues. I wouldn't run it with out putting plugs of some sort in the ports just to keep contaminants from entering the compressor if you plan to use it in the future...

83LSWagon

Frequent Racer
Aug 27, 2008
Spring Hill, FL
#-o
Good points.

leonpiper69

Daily Driver
not only is it a non-issue with the clutch not engaged but four seasons and dayco make ac delete pulley kits which are pretty cheap and you just use that in place of the pump and still use the same belt.

We had to do this on a buddies crown vic. Pump was bad and didn't want to spend the money to replace it. was liek 20 bucks for the delete kit.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!