79 Malibu LT1 Swap

big-angry-hillbilly

Amateur Racer
Mar 28, 2009
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Ok fellers, here it goes.

About a year or so ago, I rebuilt my 4L60 E in my LT1 Caprice, and it's STOUT. I've decided to cam my LT1 and put the whole combo into my 79 Malibu, along with a 4.56 rear sprocket, and whatnot. I figured, my Malibu needs a motor, and I'm not driving the Caprice anymore, so might as well use something that I've already got, and paid for.

Anyhow, this car is already set up with a rollcage, fuel cell, yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah.

I'd like to retain the fuel cell, but I need a fuel pump. OK Fine. I see that Aeromotive makes a decent piece - so, good. Do I need to use THEIR regulator, along with the stock FPR, or will the stock FPR on the LT1 fuel rail suffice?

Does anyone happen to know, what do I do with the coolant line that comes out on top of the intake and travels over to the degas bottle? I'm not running a degas bottle, I'm going to run a conventional radiator with a regular cap and overflow, mainly because there's a 4-row radiator in the car already. Can I just cap that off?

I'm gonna put the little blue jug to this thing, also, so I'm going to need a timing retard box for the 6AL that's already on the car.

Do any of the B-body guys know what wiring travels INTO the car to run the PCM and engine and whatnot? I see most of the aftermarket harnesses or modified harnesses boasting "FOUR WIRE HOOKUP", and I was just wondering, exactly what those four wires are.

Electric water pump guys! I can just run any regular double roller chain while using an electric WP, right? Clearance the cover a hair and get at 'er?

PCM guys! Can I delete the Fuel Pump control through the PCM? Can I delete the Fan control through the PCM? Code-free? Reason I ask is because all that crap is switched from the switch panel on the dashboard

Pics will follow as progress continues.

Jackstand

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 6, 2003
KANSAS CITY, MO
big-angry-hillbilly said:
Ok fellers, here it goes.

About a year or so ago, I rebuilt my 4L60 E in my LT1 Caprice, and it's STOUT. I've decided to cam my LT1 and put the whole combo into my 79 Malibu, along with a 4.56 rear sprocket, and whatnot. I figured, my Malibu needs a motor, and I'm not driving the Caprice anymore, so might as well use something that I've already got, and paid for.

Anyhow, this car is already set up with a rollcage, fuel cell, yadda, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, blah.

I'd like to retain the fuel cell, but I need a fuel pump. OK Fine. I see that Aeromotive makes a decent piece - so, good. Do I need to use THEIR regulator, along with the stock FPR, or will the stock FPR on the LT1 fuel rail suffice?

You will need one of the aeromotive regulator, either the one the fits the stock rails or i do what id and have some bungs welded onto the stock rails (see my old pic)
Does anyone happen to know, what do I do with the coolant line that comes out on top of the intake and travels over to the degas bottle? I'm not running a degas bottle, I'm going to run a conventional radiator with a regular cap and overflow, mainly because there's a 4-row radiator in the car already. Can I just cap that off?

no you cant cap it, it will steam vent for the cylinder heads. I taped the inlet of the water pump and screwed a nipple in ther and just ran a rubber line to that
I'm gonna put the little blue jug to this thing, also, so I'm going to need a timing retard box for the 6AL that's already on the car.

im not a nitrous guy, but yea you will need to retard the timing some how... a digital 6 is a nice street/stip box
Do any of the B-body guys know what wiring travels INTO the car to run the PCM and engine and whatnot? I see most of the aftermarket harnesses or modified harnesses boasting "FOUR WIRE HOOKUP", and I was just wondering, exactly what those four wires are.

usally power, ground, switched 12v and fuel pump.
Electric water pump guys! I can just run any regular double roller chain while using an electric WP, right? Clearance the cover a hair and get at 'er?

yes, i didnt have to clearance my cover.
PCM guys! Can I delete the Fuel Pump control through the PCM? Can I delete the Fan control through the PCM? Code-free? Reason I ask is because all that crap is switched from the switch panel on the dashboard

Pics will follow as progress continues.

you can but it wont hurt anything without it deleted.

DSC00843.jpg

toomanytoyz

Nov 16, 2009
Nahua, NH USA
b-a-h, I think if you need to ask questions as simple as those, then you should probably reconsider doing that swap. Maybe you should keep the 9C1 together. Moran. Smh.

lame_sign.gif

Stupid Redneck. :-({|=

MalibuKasey

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Rockwell, NC
toomanytoyz that was just uncalled for..... bottom line is we all need help sometimes and theirs no need to be insulting to anyone..... especially if their throwing out an idea or a question! We all learn from doing.... just because you aparently seem to know everything doesnt mean the rest of us do....

toomanytoyz

Nov 16, 2009
Nahua, NH USA
MalibuKasey said:
toomanytoyz that was just uncalled for..... bottom line is we all need help sometimes and theirs no need to be insulting to anyone..... especially if their throwing out an idea or a question! We all learn from doing.... just because you aparently seem to know everything doesnt mean the rest of us do....

Yes it was. Completely. :D

Sorry you got caught in the crossfire. He's a buddy of mine from another board and I was surprised to see him here too, so I had to bust his balls a bit.

Looks like I got pwned!!!! :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!