Fuel Sending unit for Wagon

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Hey Guys, I'm in the process of installing a LS1 in my 83 Wagon and I'm up to the point of having to deal with the fuel system. I purchased a Russell fuel system kit designed for swaps like these that include the pump, regulator, hose, fittings, etc. http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/fuel/img/641600_lg.jpg. So, since I have to drop the tank to install the system, I decided to replace the tank and sending unit while I was at it. I was able to find the tank with no problem, but it is a different story for the sending unit, I can't find a wagon sending unit anywhere. I did buy the sedan sending unit, but since the wagon tank is deeper, it's a couple of inches short and doesn't come close to the bottom of the tank. I find it odd that i can buy a tank, but not a sending unit. I see that there are quite a few wagon projects out there and I can't be the first one with this issue. Does anyone have any leads or solutions?

Thanks,
Scott

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
I know all of you all been waiting to hear about my progress in finding the fuel sending unit for my wagon. ;) Well...I finally found one. After much searching on the internet and many phone calls, I wound up calling my local Chevy dealer. They didn't have it, but he gave me the GM part number and two places that may have it. One place was in the Bronx, KMB Auto Warehouse. I called them, they had it but wanted $250 for it. Ahhhh, no. The the other place was a Chevy dealer in Kentucky, Tim Short Chevy. I called them and they had it too and when I asked how much he said how about $40? Sold! I got it the other day, tried it in the new tank and it fits perfectly. So, now on to replacing the tank and installing the Russell fuel system kit.

Here are some pics of it. There is a date on the box from 1987, so the part is more than 24 years old. I guess this is what you would call an NOS part.

photobucket-4980-1330812409228.jpg

photobucket-5388-1330812384076.jpg

photobucket-1560-1330812433094.jpg

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Here is an update on my fuel system installation;

Nice new shiny gas tank with a "brand new" sending unit installed.
photobucket-1222-1331686531048.jpg

Fuel Lines going to the top of the tank.
photobucket-1224-1331686602803.jpg

Fuel Line from tank going to the pump (lower) and the return from the regulator/filter (upper) back to the tank.
photobucket-2122-1331686632363.jpg

Fuel pump mounted to the front of the spare tire well. The pump has to be mounted as low as and as close as to the tank as possible. The pump is just about as low as the bottom of the tank, so it should work (I hope). The frame rails were out of the question as the rails are tucked up between the outside body work and the rear foot well. By the time the frame rail was exposed, I thought it would be to far away from the tank.
photobucket-1408-1331686647275.jpg

Just a sheet metal shield to protect the pump from any rocks or debris that may get kicked up.
photobucket-2286-1331686677131.jpg

Close up of the regulator/filter. The line on the left on the outside edge of the filter is the feed from the pump. The line on the left on the center is the return back to the tank and the line on the right goes to the front to feed the fuel rails.
photobucket-1188-1331686663369.jpg

Next weekend, Wiring! Oh Joy...

ROKTWGN

Aug 28, 2011
The sending unit/hanger assembly from a 94 astro van tbi drops in and is the same height as the original sender. This also allows you to use an in tank pump. Only modification necessary is to cut off or bend the locating tabs on the top of the sender so you can have the lines coming out in the same direction as the factory.

I would get to know the car before romping on it under 1/4 tank. My wagons are injected, and any hand accelerating/braking/cornering under 1/4 tank, even with a back/bottom feeding competition engineering sump, would suck air. The AFR would go through the roof and most times the car would stall.

But if you are the kind of guy that never lets the tank run low, you'll probably be ok.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Your location is fine, but like liquidh8 said, low tanks can be a problem, especially if your tank isn't baffled internally. I'm switching to a fuel cell/surge tank setup next year in the Mazda.

TTLSX418

Amateur Racer
Apr 23, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
Not trying to thread jack, just wanted to post up an alternate way of approaching the fuel system.

I have a 12g RCI drag cell mounted inside the car above my spare tire compartment. I cut a hole for the sump on the tank to fit below the spare tire door. Then I ran the fuel line to my FAST pump, which i mounted outside the spare tire compartment.

The cell has AN fittings on the sump and since the sump is the lowest point of the tank, I won't have to worry about scavenging with my set-up. My cell also has foam inside of it to keep the fuel from sloshing around under hard acceleration/braking/cornering.

It's going to look pretty odd when i fill up, sticking the nozzle in the back of the car, but it is disaster proof. I ran this set-up in my s10 and had no fuel problems to this day. I just gotta be careful pulling the nozzle out when i'm done filling it up.

fuelcell_zpsd6e13403.jpg

philadelphia

Oct 11, 2013
Bringing this back from the dead. Im swapping in a used LT1 from a s10 swap.. Gonna get it running then start looking for a factory harness to trim down..The current one is way too basic for me.

As for the fuel system i will be running a low pressure high volume pump feeding a fuel filter/accumulator then a high pressure external pump . http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/atta...63256-fuel-systems-whats-fix-fuel_diagram.jpg

As much as id like to run a high zoot holley pump or even a used edelbrock i found i may run the TBI pump from the 94 astro van as mentioned above. Im modifing a hydraulic filter housing from northern tool that i pulled off my rock crawler. Im gonna run a napa fuel filter and have already tapped it for a 3/8" dip tube and 1/8 vent/return.

Im currently on the fence about trying to find an older bronco external fuel pump as they only support 250 hp. A high pressure pump may be in order. I will update this when i finally get to the fuel system this weekend.

As an alternative I may look into the newer astro vans to see if the fuel pump will fit the wagon tank. they have an intergrated baffle that will hold fuel but i cant tell if it will work until i look.

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!