Pushrod length with Aluminum head??

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
I have a set of Edelbrock RPM's for my 350. I called Edelbrock to ask for the CC size, what gasket they recommend and some other stuff since I bought them used. The guy told me I needed .100" longer pushrods since the heads have a thicker deck. I called again yesterday because my kids colored on the sheet that I had the numbers on, and that tech told me I didn't need longer pushrods, just hardened for the guide plates.

Those that have aluminum heads, what is correct??? ](*,)

Thanks!

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
.100" isn't a lot, and I figured the first guy was trying to make a sale, since he was recommending everything I'd need from Edelbrock. I just searched the numbers over at Jegs when they do that. Sometimes I can find it cheaper there, under a different brand name.

Edit: A tech from Jegs just emailed me and said I do need them .100" longer.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
lilbowtie's correct. You need to check Valvetrain geometry to be sure. Decking the Block, milling the Heads & Valve Seat height etc.. will affect Pushrod length.>>>>
http://www.chevytech.com/3c3o1.html

Most aftermarket aluminum Heads do require +.100" longer pushrods because they have thicker Decks.

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
lilbowtie said:
Set your valve train geometry and see what you really need.

School me please. I've never heard of that, but I'm willing to give it a try!!

Scott.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
Comps cams does a good job of explaining, go to there web sight and look under the Tech pages and then Technical Info and you will see Valve Train Geometry. The valve train is probably most neglected area that needs a lot of attention - spring, coil bind, spring height, rocker contact, rocker clearance, push rod length, guide plates - take time - make it right.

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
I read the article!-buying a length checker!! 8)

Thanks!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
lilbowtie said:
Set your valve train geometry and see what you really need.

X2! There's no way a sales tech can tell you for sure with all the variables involved like rocker arms, cam, head gaskets, core shift, valve length, valve seat height...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!