Best rear end option

apatt

Mar 5, 2018
Hi all. I'm new to this site so just getting used to it. Hopefully I'm doing this correctly. Anyway, I have a 79 malibu that I have put a 325hp 454 in. The rearend in it now is the base line 2.29 7.5 ring made for the v6. I know that I am going to break this in no time. I need anyone's suggestions on the best rear end for my application. This car is really a show car (I'm in upstate NY and this car is from AZ with less than 110k on it and in prestine condition), so I am looking for something I can just bolt in without any mods. Now that being said, I am quite sure this car will end up seeing the strip more than a few times, so I am looking for a dependable rearend with posi that is great daily driving, but also can handle a launch at the strip. I was told by a guy I should invest in a 9" with third member so I can interchange gears? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
This is going to be decision for you to make - the 7.5 can be built to handle 325 hp but seeing your planning on drag strip usage (w/slicks) your money would be better spent on a bolt in 8.5 - 9 in - or 12 bolt. I personally run a 9 in.

apatt

Mar 5, 2018
I've heard 9" my best option. That being said, do they make a "true" bolt in? from what I've seen the 9" is several inches narrower and I would have to shorten the driveshaft??? Rearends are definitely not my forte so any guidance/links to other sites would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
the 9" is the best bang for your buck but any rear end other than the oe style 7.5 will require a driveshaft modification of some sort be it a length and or a u-joint style change.they do sell the 9" in stock width or any other dimension you'd like so that's not a problem @all.they're also available with drum brakes so there's no need to mess with any other components of the brake system which is nice.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
apatt said:
any suggestions on reliable manufacturers?

I run a Moser in the Regal and a Quick Performance in the Sonoma, no complaints. Just because you buy a nine don't think it's bullet prove. You need educate yourself on the center section as to what your doing and hp. Mainly what case to use, what gears, splines, bearing size, pinion support, and yoke.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!