Ignition switch question

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I'm having an issue with the ignition switch in my El Camino. When I turn the key to start, there is a spot where there is mild resistance, continue turning and it starts. Then I need to back the key over this spot of resistance. The car starts fine and runs well. I've been dealing with this for awhile, just haven't found the solution. Any ideas?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
How worn is the key?

Tommy

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
The key is like new. It's like it needs a real heavy spring to push it back to the run position and a real heavy spring to get it to the run position.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
78elk said:
When the ignition cylinder is in the Acc position, should the key line up with the lock position?
No it should not. You either have a bad ignition lock cylinder or ignition switch. If your getting acc in the lock position. I would go for the electrical ignition switch first. It must be adjusted to work properly the switch is slotted for this.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Thanks. Mine doesn't go that far either. I was trying to find out if it needed more adjustment in the direction of the driver.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I pulled the ignition cylinder today and it's fine. Guess I'll have to break down the column and see what needs work there.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!