What's the best oil pan for a 73 350 ci ?

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I ask this question due to I replaced the original with a Dorman from Jegs. It's supposed to be an original replacement. The 350 ci is from a 73 El Camino. This engine is still leaking from the pan gasket after changing it twice. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Could someone please give me a measurement from the block to the lowest part of the pan gasket on the front of an original 350 from a 73 El Camino? I'm trying to get a comparison between the original and the after market one I have now.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i wish i had a stock pan to help with this..hopefully the gasket makes a difference for you

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
You need to really determine where the leak is coming from. Seems you have been replacing a bunch of things with no results. Don't know why they would say the one piece gasket won't work since Dorman is a direct replacement. I use Canton pans but nothing wrong with stock.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
The problem is that there are 2 possible Felpro pan gaskets that could be purchased for a 350 Chevy. The pan I purchased is taller than the orignal. I have to jack up the front to get the pan out. Doing the in frame work on the rear main seal and the gasket this pan received a bend on the top sill. When I straightened it it tore the metal. I just bought a Spectra pan that is a 1/2 " shorter. This will be a better fit. Changing the front seal and balancer stopped the leak from those places.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
I got the rear main seal and the new pan installed. I didn't have to jack up the front of engine to install. I put anaerobic sealer on the rear main seal. I'm going to let it sit for the night to cure the sealer. This new pan went in like the original. I had a great time working on it.

78elk

Dragway Regular
Mar 6, 2014
Mountain Home Id
Yahoo, no runs, no drips, and no errors. I determined looking at the rear main seal, that the ends of the seal weren't covered evenly, part had none on it. I cleaned it off and reapplied sealer. I also cleaned the cap and reapplied sealer on it. There is no leaks from the gasket and pan.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Awesome that's great news,you must be so relieved.nice job figuring that out.everything you posted might help someone else with that same problem some day.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!